Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Favourite comics: Howard the Duck issue 1

Howard the Duck first appeared in “Adventures Into Fear” issue 19 in a “Man-Thing” story written by his creator Steve Gerber and illustrated by Val Mayerik in December 1973. After that appearance Howard graduated to a backup series in “Giant size Man-Thing” issues 4 and 5 in 1975 written by Steve Gerber where he faced the terror of “Garko the Man-Frog” and “Bessie the Hellcow”. As fun as these stories were it was the introduction of artist Frank Brunner that took the character to new hights and was instrumental in getting Howard his own comic in 1976. Sadly Brunner left the strip after issue 2 to be replaced by the equally excellent Gene Colan from issue 4 (after an excellent one- off tale in issue 3 by John Buscema). The history of the Howard the Duck character has had its fair share of issues including the production of one of Hollywood’s most maligned movies, an enforced redesign of the character by Disney, a short lived newspaper strip, and a bitter copyright infringement lawsuit made against Marvel by Steve Gerber for sole rights to the character. Despite all this Howard the Duck was a fun comic and those early issues by Gerber and Brunner have remained some of my favourite comics.
Above: The first appearance of Howard the Duck from "Adventures Into Fear” issue 19

8 comments:

  1. I read these delightful issues again last year and enjoyed them mightily., Howard was a sensation in 1976 when the gimmick of lunatic media creations running for president was considered a lark and not a grim reality. I think Howard is a character who made more sense to an older me, a me who had suffered a few more of life's slings and arrows and could identify a bit more with a character who was weary of a strange world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those US election buttons featuring Howard and the "Get down America" party, I even read that he got some write in votes ( if that was possible) . As the parodies in HtD were obviously American based a lot of it went over my head at the time, but like yourself in rereading them, they made more sense. I must be part duck as I now get the world weary aspect of Howard's personality :)

      Delete
  2. About 20 years ago Howard became Howard The Rat for a while which was meant to be a parody of Mickey Mouse or something. But by 2010 he was back to being a duck again and I bought a few issues of the new Howard The Duck series from that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing that "Howard the Rat" cover at the time, hard to believe that was 20 years ago Colin. I wonder if that was also a tip of the hat to "Stewart the Rat" book that Gerber wrote ( drawn by Gene Colon ) to help raise funds to aid his lawsuit against Marvel!?. I haven't read any Howard comics since the original series ended.

      Delete
  3. I remember picking this up at a local newsagent along with Cap America #193 ( the return of Kirby). Happy times...but sad times too, as once Brunner had left HTD none of the top stars of the era appeared to be doing comics anymore....Smith, Adams, Kaluta, Wrightson, Starlin. Thank goodness for the arrival of Byrne, Golden, Rogers and Perez! By the way amongst the ups and downs of HTD was the newspaper strip, where Gerber and Colan from memory lost shedloads of money ( or rather gave up timely paying gigs, for work that paid months late).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Gene Colons work on Howard one Brunner left, especially his work in the black and white Howard the Duck magazine, which Golden also contributed to. It would have been nice if Brunner had drawn more issues but your right at that time a lot of the greats were becommung a bit istale and were less and less involved in comics. I didn't know that about the newspaper strip, actually I don't think I I've ever seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a little late to collecting Howard The Duck, my first issue being Howard The Duck #2, after which I was hooked.

    On 22nd March 1976, during school lunch break, I picked up the new Marvels - Howard The Duck #2, Captain America #196 (Jack Kirby), Daredevil #132 (Bob Brown and Klaus Jansen) - all the aforementioned at 9p each - and Doc Savage B&W #24 for 25p.

    After school I cycled home to watch the Batman episode "The Joker Goes to School"

    What a time to be a comic fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't recall exactly where and when I saw and bought Howard the Duck issue 1 baggsey , I was certainly at school but not sure of the details other than being chuffed I got the first issue and loving it . It was certainly a great time for comics which for me was Starlins Warlock, Dave Cockrums X-Men, Conan, Dr Strange and the many new characters l ike Black Goliath and the Champions etc the latter 2 weren't great comics but exciting times.

    ReplyDelete

Gone but not forgotten: Near Myths - The early work of Grant Morrison and Bryan Talbot

Near Myths was an A4 SF magazine (similar to Dez Skins’ “Warrior”) published out of the Science Fiction Bookshop in Edinburgh under the ”G...