Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Page Turners: Jack Kirby

Even some 29 years after his death Jack Kirby’s imagination, creativity and influence still looms over the world of comics more than any other creator in the medium. And it is no wonder, the man was responsible (partly or wholly) in the creation of some of comics most enduring and popular characters including the Fantastic Four, Hulk, Ant-Man, the X-Men, Silver Surfer, New Gods, Mr Miracle, Kamandi and Captain America to name but a few.
My own personal introduction to Kirby’s work was in 1966 in the pages of the UK weekly comic Wham! issue 112 (above) where the Fantastic Four strip was reprinted with little ceremony.To be honest I wasn’t impressed, not because it was a poor strip but the layout of the strip was to my eyes too busy with a page and a half (or around that) being printed on each UK sized comic page, plus I wasn’t that big a fan of superheroes at 6 years old. That all changed not long after when my mum bought me a copy of the Alan Class comic “Creepy Worlds” featuring the Avengers against the “Zemo and his Masters of Evil” (from Avengers issue 6 from 1964) illustrated by Jack Kirby. Below as some of my favourite Kirby splash pages to accompany the splash page above from "Silver Surfer" issue 18.
Above "Captain America" issue 106. My favourite Kirby Captain America issue.
"New Gods" issue 1 (Illo taken from the collected edition)
"Avengers" issue 5 - "The Invasion of the Lava Men!" (illo from the Collected edition).
Fantastic Four Annual #6
"The Eternals" issue 2 - Although he never reached the creative heights he had in the 1960's I really enjoyed Kirby's "Eternals" series (and Black Panther and 2001).
The Demon Issue 10 - This image really horrified me when I first saw it as a 13 year old in 1973, it stll retains an element of shock when I see it now.
"Kamandi" issue 29 - Kamandi was my favourite of Kirby's comics at DC.
"Monsters on the Prowl" - issue 26.
Fantastic Four issues 72 - (illo from the Epic collection) .

8 comments:

  1. Jack Kirby at his height was superb, but the stuff he produced in his later years just wasn't up to scratch due to age and illness. I suspect he also lost his passion for comics to some degree and that was reflected in how much work he put into a page, which had lots of 'pseudo' detail, but just didn't resemble how things actually looked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shame his art deteriorated so quickly. When he moved back to Marvel he was only around 60, which isn't that old and soon after that I thought his work really suffered. Artists like Neal Adams, John Severin, Alex Toth etc at that age (60 to mid 60s) style didn't drop in quality quick as badly.

      Delete
  2. I loved the splash pages of Odin wearing one of his bizarre "crowns" (he had a different one every time). Kirby was able to make Odin look utterly magnificent and yet totally pompous and absurd at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a few of those Odin splash pages Colin and your spot on with that description lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirby art always amazes. I'm planning a deep dive on some vintage Kirby stuff in August. I've been trying to get around to it all year. I'm a huge fan of that issue of Cap as well. It's pure rockem-sockem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look forward to reading that Rip. Captain America 106 is Kirby at his best (imho) so much action and fun as only he could do.

      Delete
  5. A great selection of splashes, Paul. My favourite Kirby period is from around 1967 to 1975, where everything he drew packed a metaphorical punch. I did collect his run on Captain America when he returned to Marvel, along with 2001 and some of the other later Marvel titles, but they were a pale imitation of his previous work. I do wish he had been given the chance to do the Superman book back in the early 1970s - that would have been amazing. I am currently part-way through reading his 4th World opus in the correct sequence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Kirby around that time as well Ian. I wasn't a big fan of his Forever People and New God's comics but the rest of his DC 1970s output I did enjoy. His FF around that 1967 to 1970 period was amazing as was his Thor work. I did like his Black Panther run and I really like the Eternals when he came back to Marvel but soon after his work really declinded. Enjoy reading the 4th World series, I have the New God's collection and really must give it another read, maybe I missed something.

    ReplyDelete

Gone but not forgotten: Near Myths - The early work of Grant Morrison and Bryan Talbot

Near Myths was an A4 SF magazine (similar to Dez Skins’ “Warrior”) published out of the Science Fiction Bookshop in Edinburgh under the ”G...