Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2021

Three of the best from the 1970 spinner rack

In the US comic books cover dated January, 1970 (on sale in the US around October 1969) hit these shores around May 1970. It was on a trip to my then local newsagents that I spied and immediately purchased three of my favourite comics of all time, everyone a classic. Silver Surfer issue 12, Spider-Man issue 80 and Captain America issue 121.
One of the things I really loved about Marvel comics was that they would drop in cameo appearances of their characters from time to time. In the Silver Surfer comic (issue 12) they showed a scene between the Abomination and the Hulk in a flashback and as interesting as that was to my 10 year old self I knew about these characters. It was the cameo that appeared in Captain America of a character that I had never seen before that had me really geeked out. Of course I realised a few years later this was Yellowjacket (formerly Hank Pym of Giant Man fame) but at the time I had thought he was simply called the Avenger (from the dialogue below) . It took me a few years longer to find out a Yellowjacket is an American name for a Hornet.

6 comments:

  1. I acquired, brand new and for 5 pence, the Surfer ish (along with 3 others in the series) from a spinner rack in a shop in Blackpool back in 1973 or '74. I managed to replace it/them a number of years ago and am now the proud possessor of all 18 issues of the original run. Why have you turned that funny green colour, McS? Are you turning into The Hulk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn right I'm jealous Kid I would love more Surfer comics from that first series I only have issue 12 from the original run and a few issues of Fantasy Masterpieces where it was reprinted . I bought my second copy of SS 12 in Blackpool as well as my original copy was falling apart (still have it though)

      Delete
    2. The bad news is that the extra long stories reprinted in FM had several pages edited out of them. Time for an Omnibus volume perhaps? I'm not sure yet if they've appeared in an Epic Collection yet.

      Delete
  2. Yeah there is a Silver Surfer omnibus collection out of the original series Kid. I picked up the SS Epic collection but that contains other stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the Omnibus volume a few years back, McS (I meant time for YOU to buy one), but I'm hoping they release the stories as an Epic Collection or two, 'cos I'll buy them again.

      Delete
  3. Oh sorry Kid my fault. Yeah I might pick it up although would prefer your original comics 😁

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...