Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Favourite comics and geek thrills - Avengers 106

It’s strange that while we experience many thousands of events across our life, we can only truly recall a handful of these with any real clarity. Some of these memories might be significant “firsts” such as our first day at school, our first date, first house or car etc. while other memories on the face of it may sound surprisingly trivial. However, whilst I can now only barely recall my first day at school or indeed my first date with any real clarity it seems to me that those “trivial” memories are becoming more significant to me the older I get. An example of this is the memory that was triggered by the above comic, Avenger issue 106 “A traitor stalks amongst us” I saw this comic recently for sale in City Centre Comic in Glasgow a few months before the Covid lockdown took hold and within seconds of seeing it I was transported back to the summer of 1973 and to a family break we had in the seaside town of Arbroath, a holiday that I had all but forgotten that we had taken until that very moment. The reasons this comics “trivial” memory is important to me is because on our arrival in Arbroath the weather took a turn for the worse and it poured with rain for the entire time (4 days) we were there. Now Arbroath is a nice enough seaside town but when your 13 years old and stuck in a fixed mobile home with nothing to do then 4 days can seem like 4 weeks. It was on the second rain-soaked day of our holiday that my brother came to the rescue as he found a shop that sold US comics and bought me this very comic. Of course at the time I was geeked out at the comic itself as I opened it up and saw that great Rich Buckler splash page with the Vision draped over a chair brooding and in deep self-refection before being interrupted by the arrival of Captain America. The Vision informs Cap that the other Avengers have gone off to search for Quicksilver while he has a wee sulk to himself.
Just then Rick Jones appears in a fury about how the Avengers made him stay behind during their battle against the Sentinels and shows that he is now again linked to Captain Marvel. This was a big geeky thrill for me as I think this was the first time I had seen this version of Captain Marvel.
Then when Rick clashes his steel wristbands together it causes suppressed memories to resurface in Cap's mind to a battle against Hydra, with Rick as Cap's partner under the Bucky guise. I loved this part of the story as the artist drawing the flashback sequences changed from Rich Buckler’s (then) modern style to George Tuska’s more traditional style ( and for me one of his best ever art jobs) giving it that air of nostalgia and realism (and another “geek thrill” for me).
Meanwhile, Iron Man, Black Panther, Hawkeye, and the Scarlet Witch search New York City for any trace of Quicksilver. However, they all seem to go mad one at a time and attack each other but are soon stopped when their true foe reveals himself as the Space Phantom who has returned, and this time he has teamed up with the Grim Reaper.
That’s the great thing about “trivial” things like comics that can reignite some half forgotten memory of a family holiday of 48 years ago and to the kind act of my brother (now no longer with us) going out and getting soaked to buy me a comic to cheer me up. I also now recall that later that week we both went back to that shop and bought a few other US comics but that may be for another post.

4 comments:

  1. Great reminiscence. It's for this very reason I'm reluctant to part with any old comics, 'cos there's usually a memory associated with each one, and if I get rid of a comic, the likelihood is that I'm relinquishing the memory as well. Sometimes I sit in my loft going through boxes of comics, old memories resurfacing on sight of a cover, and I'll tuck the comic back in the box and save the memory for another time. I sometimes wonder how many memories we part from whenever we have a clear-out of possessions, as, like you say, our memories are reignited by, and seemingly inextricably linked to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m the very same Kid as I have been going through all my old boxes of comics to try and thin my collection down a bit. And like yourself every time I pick up a pre-1980 comic it was almost always associated with a memory and was put back into the box. Even a few comics after 1980 have that effect on me so it’s been a hard task to thin them down especially as I bought another 10 comics when in Brighton on holiday from that period, 3 of which reignited memories I had almost forgotten. The other comics are ones I missed back in the day with artist I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reminiscences. I do wonder why it is that the linkage between buying a comic book and a memory of a place and time is so very strong. And it is the same for all of us. I bought lots of paperbacks and bubble-gum cards and other stuff during that same period of my adolescence, but it is the memory of the comic purchase that is the strongest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to wonder about that as well. As you note it’s not like that with other interests, for example I love music and collecting albums (well I used to collect albums) and while I can recall details of attending certain concerts,marts or buying certain records/CD etc the memories are not as strong and don’t cover a great deal of the records I bought or the concerts I attended. For example until very recently I had forgotten that I had seen Prince at the Glasgow SECC , but I remember with some clarity where I was and what I was doing when I bought Atlas comics Phoenix issue 1. Maybe it’s just the effect of that geek thing collectors etc get on certain subjects that they immerse themselves in like comics, SF, Films etc. I’m sure there is a scientific psychoanalytical reason for this that would be interesting to know about, but regardless I enjoy the memories seeing old comics I used to have bring up.

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...