Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2022

House ads: Part three - The other companies

In parts 1 & 2 I showed some of my favourite DC and Marvel house ads. However, it wasn't just the big two that generated a mountain of great looking adverts there were many other comic book companies that also got into the act and created some suberb pieces of art in their own right. The above advert (and the one below) for the Mighty Comics Group is one of the first house ads I can recall as a kid as I was a big fan of their comics (the Mighty Crusaders, Steel Sterling etc). Sadly Mighty Comics of the 1960's weren't really that good but their ads still retain that element of 1960's cool (to me at least).
Charlton comics were a regualr feature in spinner racks in the Glasgow area (at least) and as a result I picked up many of their comics. Although the paper that Charlton comics were publshed on wasn't of the best quality they did produce some really nice comic books over the years, and along with that some lovely house ads.
Harvey comics primarily published (licensed) children's cartoon comics (with a brief foray into superheroes titles in the 1950s/1960's) and they sold them by the bucketful. Many characters like Richie Rich had several (over 30) titles and as a child it was always fun seeing these ads advertising the many titles they produced.
Archie comics were another big favourite of mine as a kid and the good news is they are still going strong and producing some great versions of Archie Andrews and his pals.
And to round off the final part of my look at some of my favourite house ads below is the stunning ad that introduced Atlas comics to an unsuspecting (comic book) world in 1974. It's hard to describe to today's comic fans the excitment that was generated by this house ad illustrated by the late great Ernie Colon introducing a new company. Sadly, 12 months later it was all over and Atlas shut up shop.

6 comments:

  1. Love Charlton ad pages, many have a distinctive character. That Atlas ad by Colon is only half of the two-page ad featuring these unfortunate characters. Loved them in that brief moment of existence.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a soft spot for most things Charlton as well Rip. Thanks for the Atlas update I downloaded the wrong scanned copy .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember when Marvel started getting their comics printed on what was supposed to be better quality paper? (Back in the '90s I think.) It was whiter and the colours were brighter and more garish. For some reason the paper they used always reminded me of Charlton mags. Incidentally, couldn't swear to it, but I think that Atlas ad also appeared in colour - or one very much like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That garish printing process was just awful. Yes the Atlas ad was indeed published in colour as well. The first page was used in lots of Atlas comics first issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved those Atlas house ads. They made me want to buy every book the company published, which I pretty much did. In hindsight, it was a foolish error but I don't regret making it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought every Atlas colour comic ( and most black and white mags) as well Steve except Vicki which I managed to pick up years later .....after I binned most of my Atlas comics.

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...