Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Gone but not forgotten : Marvel Corner Image boxes

One of the many fascinating things about comics in the 1960’s/1970s were those great little corner box images that appeared on the covers of all Marvel comic books at this time. While they have now all but faded out of existence they were at one point in time a prominent feature of any Marvel comic book - and I loved them. As time went on and the characters costumes and/or art styles changed so to did those amazing little images on the left hand corner of the comic cover so there would be various versions of Thor, Spiderman, the Avengers etc. The corner box tradition carried on for decades until the early 1990s when for the most part, they were simply and unceremoniously dropped.
f course the corner box image wasn’t just reserved for Marvels Superhero comics as they also used them for their mystery, western and humour comics. Some of their mystery /horror images were pretty cool as can be seen above.
However, it really was the Marvel superhero corner image box that attracted my attention and made me want to pick up titles that I hadn't read before just to obtain that wee image. It really was a great marketing/branding idea and one I feel played a small, but important part of Marvels success.
Although Marvel were the main proponents of the corner box image other companies also used these including Warren publishing and even Charlton.
In the late 1990’s / early 2000’s artist Joe Jusko created a series of painted cover box images based on the originals that are pretty cool and would look amazing on the cover of any modern Marvel comic book.

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, I love those corner boxes as well, McS, and wish they'd restore them. As you'll probably know, it was Steve Ditko who came up with the idea for the Amazing Spider-Man mag and - pow! - it became a magazine company 'trademark'/signature before you could say 'Crivens! is cracking'. It could even be that he suggested it for every mag, not just his own Spidey mag, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting suff as I didn't know that it was Steve Ditkos idea Kid. Yeah these boxes were great just so iconic . For me, me comics just don't look as interesting without these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is heresy but I like the modern covers without the corner boxes. Apparently there's a campaign to bring them back and a recent cover of She-Hulk included a corner box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't buy / read new comics so the covers etc don't really bother me now as they aren't aimed at me Colin. I just liked those corner boxes. Then again I will look out to see if "She Hulk" has a wee corner cover image as it might encourage me to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The latest issue of She-Hulk (published yesterday) has a corner-box.

    But none of the other Marvels do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I will need to have a look at that next time I'm in Glasgow Colin. Thanks for the update , did you buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I've got the Marvel app which shows all the latest releases and that's where I saw the She-Hulk cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah right, think I found it online it's a nice good girl type cover but the corner box doesn't fit the comic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, those corner boxes used to contain what were probably considered the most iconic images of each of those characters. Presumably the idea was that someone thumbing through the comics on the rack could easily find their favourite. DC experimented with the small images as well from around mid 1970, but after two years or so gave up on the idea, or half-heartedly dropped if from some comics until only the Superman motif appeared on Action and Superman, at least in 1975. I loved those images.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think one of the reasons for their use was as you say, so they could be viewed in spinner racks for folk clicking through them as obviously only the first comics cover was ever shown. Thor and the Vision were my 2 favourite corner boxes.

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...