Search This Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Comic Book Fight Club: Man-Thing v The Glob!

Let’s face it we all love a good comic book fight scene, after all its usually the climax of any storyline and at the end of the day it’s what makes comic books so much fun. Of course, there have been many great fight scenes throughout the years from Batman getting his back broken by Bane to Spider-Man fighting Green Goblin to the death, but it’s not always the big comic book stars that have the best fight scenes. A case in point is Giant Size Man-Thing issues 1 (1974) written by Steve Gerber with art by Mike Ploog and Frank Chiaramonte. While muck monsters may not be the first characters that come to mind for amazing fight action this one certainly disproves that theory as these two monsters beat seven bells out of each other. I just love the way the artists have captured the sheer size and power of both characters as they slug it out. At the end of the day though it is the Man-Thing that wins and goes through to the next round of Comic book fight club!
Even after all these years I still had a sly schoolboy giggle to myself when reading the title “Giant Size Man- Thing". Still it’s a highly enjoyable book with some classic reprints featuring art by Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby and the legendary “Goom the thing from Planet X”.

11 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I didn't pick up on the obvious naughty nature of the title Giant-Size Man-Thing until many years later. I lived a very sheltered existence apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol to be fair I think my attention was drawn to the "Man-Thing" double entendre via a fanzine article back in the day. Incidentally Rip not sure if its me but it seems to be difficult to reply in your blog as it so black in the comments box

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that I too never noticed the double-entendre of Man-Thing until somebody mentioned it on a comics blog.

    A few years ago I was reading SFX magazine and somebody said that the fight scenes in comics were always the most boring part of any story. I'd never really thought about it until then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that a strange comment especially for a superhero type comic as it's mostly all about conflict , unless they mean looking at fight scenes from a grown up perspective - my comic recollections are based on me as a kid\ young teenager. .Personally I liked the build up to the fight scene as a kid and when it was done right ( like the above imo) then it was always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think I saw this one at the time, and I don't think I've seen it yet. Here's a question for everybody - who do you prefer, Man Thing or Swamp Thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has to be an no contest Kid, surely it gad to be Swamp Thing -Who is your favourite?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swamp Thing - I think. That's probably because I knew about him before Man-Thing, who I mistakenly thought was just a copy of Swampy, though neither is a copy of the other it seems, just a coincidence. However, I got a couple of collected edition volumes of Man-Thing a few short years ago and really enjoyed them, so I'm left to wonder which one I'd have preferred had I discovered Man-Thing first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like Man-Thing and enjoyed many of his comics/appearances but Swamp Thing has been consistently good to excellent for many years Man-Things stories eventually lost traction (I'm not even sure if the character is even used now). For me DC always had the edge over Marvel when it came to weird characters like Swamp Thing, Spectre, Deadman etc. Dr Strange being the exception there. Plus as much as I like Ploogs etc art Wrightson’s and Redondo’s art on Swampy was just a joy to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, how could you go wrong with Wrightson and Redondo? On reflection, much as I enjoyed the Man-Thing stories (which I didn't expect to, to the extent I did), Swamp Thing wins the Blue Peter Badge.

      Delete
  9. I wasn't a DC fan so I'd never heard of Swamp Thing until the internet came along but I first read Man-Thing in the 'Dracula Lives' weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dracula Lives was a good weekly for showcasing those 1970's marvel mystery/horror comics, sadly I didn't buy DL regularly at this time but I picked up a bulk lot of 30 issues for £5 about 8 years ago and enjoyed flicking through them - I gave them to a charity shop to terrorise more kids .

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...