Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2022

My Famous Firsts: Amazing Spider-Man issue 80 - although it was really Pow! issue 1?

January 1967 was a momentous time in comic book history for most kids in the UK as this was when Odhams launched a new comic called POW! to accompany its already successful comics Wham! and Smash! So, what was so special about POW you may ask, well its lead strip was the Amazing Spider-Man, and this would have been the first time that most kids in the UK were exposed to Peter Parkers alter ego. Move forward 3 years to 1970 (it seemed so much longer than that when I was a kid) POW had ceased publishing (around September 1968) and I hadn’t read a Spiderman comic in what seemed like a lifetime (it was probably less than a year) and on a trip to the local newsagents with my family I spy the Amazing Spider-Man issue 80 which I quickly purchase and becomes my first US Spider-Man comic.
The cover to POW! issue 1 – My first introduction to Spider-Man - Cover taken from Wikipedia.
Amazing Spider-Man issue 80 “On the trail of the Chameleon“ was initially a bit of a disappointment to me as I wasn’t a fan of the Chameleon, but I did enjoy the interaction between Peter Parker and Flash Thompson over Peters misunderstanding that Flash was in a relationship with Gwen, and I liked Gwen (I was 10 years old, I didn’t understand why but things were starting to stir!).
The story itself is full of coincidences starting when the Chameleon disguises himself as Gwen’s dad (coincidence 1) George Stacy in order to steal a painting while Peter and Gwen are at the museum (coincidence 2). Long story short in an attempt to steal more money in a sting set up by Peter to catch the Chameleon and clear Mr Stacy of the robbery, the Chameleon makes the fatal mistake of disguising himself as Petr Parker (coincidence 3) and is unmasked by Spider-Man thereby clearing George Stacy’s name. Not a great issues story wise but John Buscema's art and Gwen Stacy more than make up for that.
Although this wasn't the best issue of Spider-Man I console myslef with the fact that my first US Spidey comic wasn't issue 81 with the Kangaroo!

8 comments:

  1. Ah the Kangaroo! What a nutty villain he was. Was he one of the bad baddies that Scourge did in some years ago? I"ve always liked the Chameleon but he did seem a bit of a low-key villain after his first few forays against Spidey. Marvel didn't really seem to use him very well across the line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the Chameleon’s first appearance in Spider-Man (with Ditko art) but his powers weren’t really that interesting to me which was basically that he could make face masks. Spidey was put up against a few strange characters like Kangaroo, another one was the Gibbon (first appearance AMS issue110) and the Grizzly. I think your right Rip, the original Kangaroo was killed and has since been “replaced” by another character of that name.

      Delete
  2. Looking at that great Buscema art (inked by Mooney) reminds me what a magnificent storyteller he was. If only modern comics were as good in this department.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was an excellent storyteller wasn't he. Thanks for the update on the artists this issue as I noted this as Romita ‘s work out of habit. Many modern comics certainly look good art wise Kid but of the few new mainstream comics I have read the artist’s work certainly looks impressive, but they are not always great storytellers it just seems to be all about trying to get a great image instead of translating the writers story into pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Until I started reading Kid Robson's blog I'd never heard of Odhams comics and I thought that Mighty World Of Marvel #1 was the first appearance of Marvel's characters in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You missed out Colin, Pow, Wham and Smash were great comics ( for their time). I think Marvel characters appeared in Alan Class comics ( Creepy Worlds etc) and others before they appeared in MWOM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They appeared in Alan Class comics even before Wham!, Smash!, and Pow!, McS. And a few appeared in TV21 before MWOM and SMCW. And doesn't CJ have excellent taste in reading our blogs!

      Delete
  6. Indeed young Colin has great taste - apologies for delay replying its been very busy at work.

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...