Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Top Tens: John Romita

John Romita’s first superhero work for Marvel was on Daredevil issue 12 (Jan.1966) where he started out pencilling over Jack Kirby's layouts. He was an instant success as sales on the title increased which alerted Stan Lee to give Romita a try-out script where DD and Spider-Man met ( issues 16-17 - 1966) with the intention to see how he handled Spider-Man with the impending departure of Steve Ditko from the Amazing Spider-Man title imminent. The rest of course is comic book history as Romita took over the art chores on The Amazing Spider-Man with issue #39 (Aug. 1966). As much as I will always love Steve Ditko’s Spider-Man work, it was John Romita’s version that really cemented the character as a must read comic for me. While the bulk of Romita’s Marvel art was focused on Spider-Man he also drew some nice issues of Captain America and the Fantastic Four and many of Marvels best action covers including the above issue of Spider-Man (123 ) from 1973, which I recently purchased. Below is a small selection of some of my favourite covers from one of comics best ever artists:
Avengers issue 116 by Romita and Esposito from October 1973.
Thor issue 224 by Romita from March 1974.
Marvel Spotlight issue 17 by RonWilson and John Romita September 1974.
Luke Cage, Hero for Hire issue 1 by Romita from June 1972 (cover from Marvel fandom database) .
Amazing Spider-Man issue 74 by by Romita from July 1969 (cover from the Epic collection)
Amazing Spider-Man issue 120 by by Romita from May 1973.
Strange Tales issue 169 by Romita from September 1973.
Sub Mariner issue 69 by Romita from March 1974.
Gwen Stacy isuse 1 (of 2) Variant cover by Romita from 2020 (I love thIs cover - its like visiting old friends again).
Daredevil issue 17 by Romita from 1966 - cover from Marvel Wiki.

10 comments:

  1. "Jazzy" Johnny Romita was a cornerstone for Marvel. When "King" Kirby left it was Romita Stan turned to take over the Fab 4 and I thought they looked great. John Buscema is outstanding and ideal on Thor but I always preferred Romita on that book. I first noticed Romita when he was drawing those romance stories for early issues of "My Love" and "Our Love Story". (Yes, I bought some of those. Don't judge me.) His women are idealized wonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Rip I can't judge you as I've started to pick up Marvel and DC romance comics as well . They have some. really amazing art by the likes of Colon, Buscema, Adams , Steranko and of course Romita in them. Romita's Gwen Stacy was for me drawn perfectly a teenage\ early 20s girl not over sexualized just a very pretty young woman.

      Delete
  2. Ditko's departure took Stan by surprise, so he wouldn't have been trying out Romita as a replacement before Ditko had already quit - unless it was 'on spec' just in case. However, as Romita's first ish was the next one after Ditko's last, there was no time for Romita to 'audition' with the certain knowledge of Ditko's 'impending' departure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kid, .I published this page in error as I hadn't yet completed it and I only noticed this last night. I will update that line later as I have just finished work and I'm "done in"/ Apologies to all for the late replies.

      Delete
  3. My first ever Spidey comic was Spider-Man Comics Weekly #103 in January 1975 which featured part 1 of the Kingpin vs. the Schemer drawn by John Romita. I loved his artwork instantly and I was disappointed when he was replaced by Gil Kane not long afterwards but at least I got to see his final few Spidey stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Schemer issues of Spidey are some of my favourites. I certainly had SMCW 103 at the time but no longer, but I have a tatty copy of the US original (issue 83). I was disappointed when Romit a left Spider-Man as much as I like Kane he wasn't as good imho.

      Delete
  4. Tsk, tsk, McS. Where's Crivens! in your blog list? I'd have said it should've been the first one to be added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having major issues with my blog list Kid. I can't seem to get the blog picture or indeed your blog and others, to add to it!

      Delete
  5. Some great covers, McScotty. Yes, it was Romita's Spider-Man version that drew me in to the character. For me, Ditko's artwork was always associated with the spooky/horror/monster comic vibe, and Romita was a breath of fresh air and dynamism. Although I had collected US Spidey's sporadically from second hand shops, I really only got into Spider-Man once I started collecting the comics weekly from #1, and then sought out US back issues and started collecting new US issues going forward from about #108. Interesting that you printed the cover of #120, which of course was the last colour Marvel import for quite a few years. I've never read issues #121 onwards, apart from #127 and #128 which my Gran brought back from the States for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like Ditko's Spidey but Romita brought the character to a new audience with his fresh looking art, which I still think looks great . I didn't realise that AMS issue 120 was the last US Marvel Spider-Man at that time. I purchased that issue (and 119 ) at the time in Glasgow, which along with issue 80 were the only US Spider-man comics I managed to see and purchase until the late 1970's. I've picked up a few issues of Romita"s AMS including issue 123 (Luke Cage cover) which I bought a few months ago in Brighton.

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...