Search This Blog

Saturday, July 2, 2022

My Famous Firsts: Incredible Hulk issue 137

Although I had been aware of the Hulk through the pages of the UK weekly comic “Smash” where his stories had been reprinted since 1966, it wasn’t until 1971 when I saw and purchased my first US Hulk comic, the above issue 137 (cover by Trimpe and Marie Severin). At the time of his appearances in Smash! I wasn’t a fan of the character mostly because his strips seemed poorly produced with pages looking crammed (Smash would print 4 US Hulk pages into 3 UK pages etc) and of course I was only about 6 years old at this time and superhero stories weren’t of that much interest to me then. However, by mid-1971 my fascination with the superhero genre was starting to emerge and those elusive US Marvel comics (DC’s weren’t that hard to find) were starting to be a priority purchase for me.
My first memory of seeing the Hulk was on the cover of my brothers copy of Smash! Issue 17 which featured Jack Kirby’s cover for Incredible Hulk issue 1. Sadly the Hulk was printed in flesh tones as Marvel only supplied Odhams with black and white artwork forgetting to tell them that the Hulk was green (or even grey as he appeared on Kirby’s US cover). Cover from the Grand Comic Database.
It was on a trip to my local newsagent around July 1971 where I spied Incredible Hulk issue 137 which I immediately purchased. I held onto this copy of the Hulk (and issue 136 which I purhased a few weeks later) for decades until I I left a large box of comics containing these issues sometime in the early 1980's, when I moved house. It wasn’t until a holiday visit to Liverpool around 6 years ago that I saw a nice copy of issue 137 (and 136) for sale at the very reasonable price of £3 each.. As soon as I saw the cover of issue 137 my memory went back to the day I first purchased it and remembered (before I opened my copy) the above strange character from that story which must have made a strong impression on my then young mind.
Issue 137 was the final part of a two issue tale called “The Stars, Mine Enemy” that began in issue 136. The story lends heavily from Herman Melville’s novel “ Moby Dick” where the Hulk is forced aboard a ship of aliens who are hunting the alien creature Klaatu. There he meets the Abomination who is First Mate aboard the vessel where as expected the Hulk and Abomination begin fighting. The captain of the space ship Cybor, hires Xeron the Starslayer to help him hunt down and destroy Klaatu who was responsible for destroying half his body. As the hunt progresses Cybor harpoons Klaatu, but gets pulled into the sun killing him and seemingly destroying the monster as well (50 plus year spoiler : Klaatu returns) . As the Hulk and the Abomination continued their fight, their blows bring them closer to Earth's atmosphere where they are pulled in by the planet's gravity sending them into a free fall to the planet's surface. Some of my favourite pages from this issue are noted below:
The above cover (by Herb Trimpe and Sal Buscema) to issue 136 was the first part of this tale called “Klatuu! The Behemoth from Beyond Space!” I first purchased this comic a couple of weeks after buying issue 137 in the same newsagents and found it "fun" that I found this and issue 137 together in a market stall in Liverpool some 50 years after I first bought them in Glasgow.

6 comments:

  1. I was a HULK nut in my early Marvel days. There was something about Herb Trimpe's artwork, especially when inked by himself or Sam Grainger that really attracted me. Mike Esposito did a fine job, better than Jack Abel who softened Trimpe's work too much for my tastes. I such a goober when I first read this story that I didn't even know where the name Klaatu came from. I did grok the Moby Dick homage aspects of the story because I'd read the Classics Illustrated issue of Melville's great novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hulk was my favourite character in the days of Mighty World of Marvel. My favourite art team on the Hulk was by far Trimpe and Severin.I also liked Sam Graingers inks on Trimpe's pencils. Old Herb was perfect for the charscter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story too. I think my favourite inker for Herb (apart from himself) was Sal Trapani. John Severin was great too, as was Dan Adkins. I agree with Rip about not liking Jack Abel's inking on Herb. Then again, I didn't like Jack's inking on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Adkins inking as well Steve. I quite liked some of Jack Abels inks but I agree not on Trimpe's pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great recounting of the story of picking up first #137 and then the excitement of finding #136 a few weeks later, McScotty. It was pretty serendipitous that you found the same comics 50 years later. I'll try to track down copies of the stories to read. I was never a great fan of The Hulk. It wasn't until Mighty World of Marvel came out that I started to pay attention. I'd been an avid collector of SMASH for the reprints of the Batman newspaper strip around 1968, but have no memory of reading the Hulk stories within.
    Keep these posts on favourite comics coming! Although you're probably making a rod for your own back by setting an expectation that there will be a new blog every weekend, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't actually looking for any comics when I came across them in that market stall (I picked up 5 Marvels from the 1970s there) but as soon as I saw issue 137 I took it off the shelf and there behind it was issue 136. I think these were my only US Hulk comics until Mighty World of Marvel. It took me a while to get into the character early stoties, but once the Trimpe, Severin ,Roy Thomas era started it was one of my favourites. I have quite a few Smash comics most post Batman though. Yeah I find it quite time intensive trying to do weekly posts but I generally scan the items in advance which takes the most time, I'm not into writing in detail as I don't have that knowledge\skill .I have a "Top ten " and another "Favourite comic" post half ready ...and a wee "Music from the past" to inflict of folk in July 😁

    ReplyDelete

Bring on the Back ups: When John Buscema drew Batman......and Superman

A big fantasy of my early fanboy teen years (mid-late 1970s) was the thought of some of US comics greatest artists working for both Marvel...