Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2022

Top Tens: Mike Kaluta

Mike Kaluta began his comic book career working in fanzines before moving onto Charlton in 1969 where he worked on teen romance, western and the “Great Battles of History” comics series. His obvious artistic talent meant that only a few years later he moved to DC where he created numerous covers for DC’s Batman, mystery, war and fantasy titles as well as working on the “Carson of Venus” feature in Korak, Son of Tarzan. However, it was in 1973 that he reached comic book superstar status when he began work on DCs Shadow title, a comic that he left after only 4 issues and for which he is still suprisingly best known for. Although considered one of comics best artists he created surprisingly few actual comic strips in his long career and focused his output on numerous covers for companies including DC, Vertigo, America’s Best Comics, Marvel and Harris comics. Below are some on my favourite of Mike Kaluta’s many comic book covers to go with the above issue of Batman issue 253 (November 1973):
The Shadow 1 – November 1973
Batman 428 - April 1973 - The first comic I bought with a Mike Kaluta cover.
Detective Comics 431 – January 1973
Batman Family 19 – September 1978
House of Mystery 261 October 1978
Conan the King – November 1984
Conan the Barbarian 167 – February 1985
Vampirella 2 – 1992 (cover from Comic book auctions)
Detective Comics 428 - October 1972

10 comments:

  1. Lush delicate artwork. I first noticed him on The Shadow. I was smart enough to pick up the first issue, but failed to get many more. Made up that years later. Has that ever been reprinted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the Kaluta Shadows from that run were reprinted in a DC hardback around 1989 in a book titled "The Private Files of The Shadow" - well worth finding a copy, Rip.

      Delete
  2. I missed the first DC issue of the Shadow as well but managed to pick up issue 2 and 3 at the time. My next issue was Frank Robbins first attempt (number 5) which I found so disappointing at the time but now it's one of my favourite comics. I picked up the entire DC first run like yourself over the years and it's a great comic. I don't think the DC run has been collected but I couldn't swear to that. Kaluta with Russ Heath on inks did a Marvel graphic novel written by Denny O'Neil which looks very nice .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, it's funny you've included Conan The King because only last week I bought the e-book of King Conan #1-6 (December 2021-July 2022). After five years back with Marvel the Conan licence is moving to Titan Comics next year so King Conan #1-6 was the final Conan comic published by Marvel. Will Conan ever return to Marvel? Conan goes out of copyright in America in 2028 so anyone can publish Conan comics or novels from then on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard that Conan would soon be out if copyright but I wasn't aware Marvel were no longer publishing his title. Is that the UK company Titan? Interesting stuff thanks for tge info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are few things in this life more enjoyable than a Mike Kaluta cover. He also did a great cover for The Shadow #12 which I remember slavishly copying in my drawing pad during the summer holiday in 1975.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He certainly has a great style that is both robust and delicate. It was good that he drew the last DC issue of the Shadow (at that time with issue 12) it was a lovely cover as was his cover to issue 10. I used to try and copy his work as well Steve focusing on certain panels, sadly it didn't look great !

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Shadow #1 cover has to be one of the greatest comic covers of the Bronze Age, McScotty. In the mid 1970s I took a photograph of the cover and projected the transparency onto the back of a spare bit of wallpaper so that I could trace the image to create a big poster, which I still have.
    My first introduction to his work was Shadow #2 "Freak Show Murders" and Batman #253 when my Gran brought back those comics for me from the States following her visit in October 1973. I immediately became a fan of Kaluta's work.
    I always think that Golden Age artist Leo E O'Mealia must have been a major influence on Kaluta, as Kaluta was himself subsequently on many others. Take a look at O'Mealia's cover to Action #2 and you'd swear it was drawn by Kaluta. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Action_Comics_Vol_1_2?file=Action_Comics_Vol_1_2.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. I checked that artist Ian and you are 100% right it's spooky just how much Kaluta's art looks like O'Mealia's. The first issue of The Shadow is an amazing iconic cover and has always been a big favourite of mine as well. It would be good to see your poster on your blog I did a similar copy of Action Comics 429 by Adams (Superman flying toward the reader over a cityscape) to A3 size was happy with it at the time but it's long gone now.

    ReplyDelete

Gone but not forgotten: Near Myths - The early work of Grant Morrison and Bryan Talbot

Near Myths was an A4 SF magazine (similar to Dez Skins’ “Warrior”) published out of the Science Fiction Bookshop in Edinburgh under the ”G...