Search This Blog

Friday, April 14, 2023

My Famous Firsts: Conan the Barbarian issue 26

As I have mentioned many times before 1973 was my favourite year for comic books. Every month the spinner racks seemed to bulge with amazing new comics book and one of my very favourites was the above issue of Marvels “Conan the Barbarian” (above cover by John Romita, John Buscema and Ernie Chua). I was 13 years old and was on what was to become a legendary comic book finding weekend holiday break with my family to Blackpool when I came across this comic book (along with “Kull the Conqueror” issue 9) in a market stall. My knowledge of Conan up until this point was restricted to those enticing half page adverts that appeared in Marvel comics, to say they whetted my appetite to find a Conan comic was an understatement, and what an action packed issue to become my first introduction to Conan the Barbarian. Below are some pages from this excellent issue:
Although I didn’t know it at the time this issue marked the end of the ongoing saga of the “War of the Tarim” which had spanned several issues and featured the art of nine artists and one writer, Roy Thomas. In this issue “The Hour of the Griffin!”, Roy was joined by artists John Buscema, who had just taken over the job of penciller from the legendary Barry Windsor-Smith with issue 25 , and inker Ernie Chau (later called Ernie Chan).Buscema would of course go on to make Conan his (and Roys) own.
ttt
Below are a couple of those "enticing" house ads that appeared in Marvel comics in the 1970's for Conan.

10 comments:

  1. Big John Buscema was THE Conan comic book artist. Barry Windsor-Smith was magnificent and it was amazing to watch his art grow and develop in real time, but even his delightful take on the Hyborian Age was not as powerful as Buscema's. Big John was in his element and it showed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buscema's version of Conan was quite a radical change from Barry Smiths. Big John's Conan was a muscle built man where's Barry's Conan was like a young adult. I loved both versions but Mr Bucsema's Conan was, for me the real Conan. Conan the Barbarian under Roy Thomas was an exceptional comic book the first 50 plus books never missed a beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Smiths art it was but as my first Conan was Buscema I gravitated to his version, especially when inked by Alcala. I can't recall seeing Smith inking anyone's art but it would have been interesting to have seen him and big John work together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smith inked part of Kirby's Captain America's Bicentennial Battles Treasury Edition, McS. I bet you've seen it, but just forgotten.

      Delete
  4. I can't recall that one Kid I'll need to check it out as that's an interesting art team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just posted a page on my blog for you, McS.

      Delete
  5. The first Conan story I ever read was "The Lair Of The Beast Men" in Marvel UK's Savage Sword Of Conan #2 in March 1975. The art was by Barry Smith and inked by Sal Buscema and I thought they made a great team in those early Conan stories. Whenever I'm reading a Robert E. Howard Conan story I always see John Buscema's version of Conan in my mind except for "The Frost Giant's Daughter" which makes me think of the Barry Smith Conan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that "frost giants" US Conan the Barbarian comic it's one of my favourites . I enjoyed Bary Smiths early Conans ( and Sals inking) as well as the classic Smith art of "Red Nails" etc Those early Conan colour books were amazing we were spoilt with great art and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is a bit of a blast from the past, as I'd forgotten I'd owned it, but there it is listed in my collection checklist as noted in 1973. I was so taken by this issue that I went on to collect Conan from that point up until issue #53 or so, when I sold the lot to my pal Geoff Cousins. But despite being fond of Buscema's rendition, it was Barry Smith's version of The Frost Giant's Daughter - issue #16 - that really caught my imagination. That was peak Windsor-Smith without a doubt.

    The Conan comic was so good that it spurred me to collect the Sphere/Lancer paperback reprints of R.E. Howard's stories. I may be wrong, but I suspect that Conan is the only pulp hero that transferred to comics in the 70s successfully for the long haul, capturing the essence of the original stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small world Ian, as Marvels Conan was also responsible for me picking up those Sphere paperbacks and eventually other R E Howard books like Kull etc.

    I collected as many Conan ( and the black and white Savage Sword mag) as I could from issue 53 onwards the monthly comic I stopped around issue 70 as it became a bit "samey" but it was a great comic.

    Barry Smiths Conan was special. I even picked up the Malibu/Marvel team up with Rune v Conan with Smith art

    ReplyDelete

Gone but not forgotten: Near Myths - The early work of Grant Morrison and Bryan Talbot

Near Myths was an A4 SF magazine (similar to Dez Skins’ “Warrior”) published out of the Science Fiction Bookshop in Edinburgh under the ”G...