Search This Blog

Thursday, April 20, 2023

Bring on the Back ups ; Avenjerks Assemble!

I first read this story in a friends copy of the "Avengers - King Size Special" issue 2 in the late 1960's. At this time I had no idea or interest, in who the people in the strip were but I do remember enjoying the silyness of the art. I had totally forgotten all about this strip until I was given a copy of "Marvel Visionaries: John Buscema" for Christmas where this was reprinted. As soon as I saw this I was immediatly reminded of that day when my pal Alan let me read this tale before quickly asking for his comic back. I don't think I had time to read the main Avengers story a that time ("And time The Rushing River.." by Stan Lee and Don Heck) but this was a fun back up tale that I actually enjoyed reading more now than I did when I was a kid.
Cover of "Avengers - King Size Special" issue 2, 1968 - taken from the Grand Comics Database
Cover to the "Marvel Visionaries: John Buscema" book.

4 comments:

  1. I've got the original issue, plus reprints of it in a Masterworks edition and an Omnibus volume. Can't say I remember much about this back-up tale, but good to see that Buscema was as good a humour cartoonist as he was an action/adventure illustrator. Maybe Marvel will do a facsimile edition and you'll finally get to read the main tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably read the main story in the UK Avengers weekly Kid, I just can't place it. Yeah big John was a pretty good funny cartoon ist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avengers Annual #2 was my second Avengers annual and an absolute delight. Those were the days when annuals meant big stories. And that back up story proves Big John could draw just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly I never had this issue but the cover is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Gone but not forgotten: Near Myths - The early work of Grant Morrison and Bryan Talbot

Near Myths was an A4 SF magazine (similar to Dez Skins’ “Warrior”) published out of the Science Fiction Bookshop in Edinburgh under the ”G...