Search This Blog

Friday, May 26, 2023

The Spinner Rack - 1974/75 - Part 3 - DC

In 1974/75 it wasn't just Atlas/Seaboard and Marvel that were producing new titles, DC were also getting in on the act with their own series of new comics and characters along with their classic line of titles. Unfortunately, just like Atlas and Marvel many of their new titles didn't last too long, but some of them were pretty good. Below are a few of my favourite DC comic covers from this year to accompany the above excellent cover of "Detective Comics" issue 457 by Dick Giordano and Tatjana Wood:
"Hercules Unbound" - issue 2 -Cover by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez. "Hercules Unbound" was written by Gerry Conway with art by the team of Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and Wally Wood (issue 1-6). The comic only lasted for 12 issues before being cancelled.
"Beowulf" - issue 3 - cover by Ricardo Villamonte. Another short lived title lasting only 6 issues, nicely illustrated by Ricardo Villamonte.
"Stalker" issue 1 cover by Steve Ditko & Wally Wood - This title only lasted for 4 issues. Despite nice art from Steve Ditko and Wally Wood, it never quite worked.
Kobra issue 1 (of 7) - Cover by Ernie Chan
"Richard Dragon, Kung-Fu Fighter" issue 3 - Cover by Jim Starlin and Alan Weiss . This 18 issue series had its moments but it wasn't exactly Shang Chi.
First Issue Special - Issue 9 - Cover by Joe Kubert - One of my favourite comics (and characters) wIth some great art by Walt Simonson.
Kamandi issue 29 - cover by Jack Kirby -Kamandi was by far my favourie Kirby title at DC and this was one of the best isues in the series.
"JLA" - issue 124 - Cover by Ernie Chan - I was always a sucker for those great JLA - JSA team-ups but for me, this was one was spoiled a bit by having Cary Bates (the writer) appear in the tale.
"Super-Team Family" - issue 1 - Cover by Ernie Chan -This title and the "Batman Family" (see below) started out as all reprint books before moving to new material with issues 7 and 11 respectively.
Batman Family - issue 1 - Cover by MiKe Grell.
"Scorpion" - issue 1 - Cover by Howard Chaykin - As with my last post looking at the Marvel spinner rack of 1974/75 I have added an Atlas comic cover here. The Scorpion was arguably Atlas' best comic until they decided to radically change the characters direction from the pulp era swashbuckler and turn him into a (poor) 1970’s superhero. Chaykin would later take his "Scorpion" character to Marvel under the name of "Domonic Fortune”.

10 comments:

  1. Again, I have 5 of these issues and, again, they're replacements for my originals that I've had for ages. However, I've also got my original Stalker ish, which a pal gave me back after over 30 years. I'm surprised editorial didn't ask for the hero to be redrawn on the cover to get rid of his knock-knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the above, with the exception of Scorpion, Batman Family, Hercules and 1st issue Special are replacement copies bought in the 1990s. The Super-Team Family cover is from the internet as my copy is falling apart😶 . The stance of the Stalker does look odd.

      Delete
  2. I picked up three of these -- Detective Comics, The Scorpion, and that Justice League issue. Love that Ernie Chan cover! Love the JLA-JSA crossovers in general. Howie Chaykin's Scorpion was an awesome comic. The second issue was alas weaker and as we know by the third issue the concept was utterly altered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the first issue of the Scorpion was a really good . I liked issue 2 as well but I know exactly what you mean in comparison to issue 1. The 3rd issue of the Scorpion was simply dire from concept to publication. I was very surprised at how many covers Ernie Chan drew for DC .

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story of Beowulf fighting the monster Grendel goes way back to Anglo-Saxon times so I suppose Beowulf is the world's first sword & sorcery hero. I first heard of him in a book called 'Mysteries Of The Unknown' which I got for Christmas 1978.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point Colin. I was aware of the original English poem from school but I haven't read any translated (to modern English) version so I am not sure just how true the comic was to the poem. I did like the comic though .

      Delete
  5. I'm pretty sure that I had all of those comics back in the 70s, and have re- acquired a few of them in the past 20 years. I do love that Kamandi #29 cover, although the actual story didn't live up to the cover, if I recall. I'll have to dig it out and re-read it. That Detective was a landmark issue for Batman, of course. And I really like the Howard Chaykin Scorpion cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked that Kamandi story baggsey, probably just because of the "emotional" link to Superman in a world (of Kamandi) that had changed so much from our time..... daft I know but I was only 14 or 15 at the time lol. Dectective Comics 457 was a great book a nice retelling of Batmans origin and a nice old school Elongated Man back up with Kurt Schaffenberger art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey McSCOTTY, my site (Buddy's Cartoons) changed domain! Here's the new one: https://petehaleblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pete thanks for letting me know. I'll update this later today .

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...