Search This Blog

Monday, June 5, 2023

Bring on the Back-Ups - The Origin of Terra-Man - Dick Dillin & Neal Adams

As far as I was aware the above issue of Superman issue 249 cover dated March 1972 (cover by Neal Adams) featured the very first appearance of Terra-Man, a then new adversary for the Man of Steel. However, it always struck me as strange that the first story in this comic entitled “The Challenge of Terra -Man" written by Cary Bates with art by Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson, superseded Terra-Man’s actual origin story. That story took place after Terra-Man’s first encounter with Superman in the tale “The Origin of Terra-Man". Although this wasn’t the greatest origin tale or character this story has always stuck in my memory as it featured the art of two of my favourite comic artists, Dick Dillon and the legendary Neal Adams. Enjoy the pictures below:
Above: The splash page to the first Terra-Man tale "The Challenge of Terra -Man" by Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson.

7 comments:

  1. Although I enjoyed this issue at the time, I later came to view Terra-Man as a bit of a daft idea for a character. I'm not yet convinced I was wrong. (A cowboy in space? Nah!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say, I loved the Swanderson art though.

      Delete
  2. I agree it was a really outdated concept even in 1972. I think Terra-Man has been changed into a more modern looking character (so that will be big guns and armour). As an Neal Adams fan I just loved the art on this strip. Swanderson were always brilliant weren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what the story was behind Adams inking Dillin's pencils instead of the usual Joe Giella? The layouts look to be definitely Dillin, although a couple of shots of the alien on page 3 look like the pencil work of Adams. This was a great period for the Superman title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not aware of any reason why Adams inked Dillin Ian but Adams had inked Dillins pencils previously in House of Secrets issue 82 so perhaps they enjoyed that experience. Superman was indeed a great comic at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always intrigued by Terra-Man. He was a breath of fresh air and the first notable addition to Superman's rogues gallery in quite a while it seemed. His gimmick of being a cowboy made for some interesting visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found Terra-Man a bit bland Rip, then again cowboys were of little interest to me at this time . I had no idea Terra-Man was the first notable villain character for Superman in some time though

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...