Search This Blog

Friday, July 21, 2023

Bring on the Back-Ups: Thanos : The Final Flower - art by Mike Zeck

This back-up tale was probably missed by many comic book fans at the time as it appeared in issue 6 of “Logans Run”. So it was a bit of a surprise to find a Thanos tale in a comic book featuring Marvels adaption of the 1976 MGM movie. The reason that a Marvel character featured in a back-up tale in a licensed comic was due to a tight deadline that was brought on by ongoing contractual negotiations with MGM that limited the main Logan’s Run story to a 12 page feature. As it turned out issue 7 was the last issue of the Marvels Logans Run comic. In the story itself Thanos seeks to destroy the will of a planet that opposes him by one of its most precious religious relic, a small flower. It was an interesting story by Scott Edelman that feature some of Mike Zeck's eariest Marvel artwork.
Above, the cover to Logans Run #6 (June 1977) by Paul Gulacy and John Costanza.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I ever bought any Logan's Run comics, but as there are only 7 of them, it's a title for me to think about collecting at a later date. I remember watching the TV show though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only picked up a few issues as they were usually the only comics available at the time. But it was an ok comic with some nice art by George Perez, Tom Sutton and Klaus Janson. I don't think I watched the TV series, but I did watch the movie on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't learn of this issue until I found it in a collection. I didn't have that issue of Logan's Run, but I went and found it. Mike Zeck had a real distinctive style, one which often looked great when matched with the right material. I wonder if this story was a try-out of sorts for either Zeck or Edelman or both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I first saw Mike Zecks art when he drew a few strips in Charltons Creepy Things and Monster Hunters. Sadly, I lost track of his work not long after his run on the Punisher, but I always liked his style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, I left a comment a couple of days ago but it has vanished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Colin I haven't seen that, I'll check to see if it's sitting anywhere. I had the same issue on Steve Does Comics recently where a message went astray.

    ReplyDelete

Gone but not forgotten: Near Myths - The early work of Grant Morrison and Bryan Talbot

Near Myths was an A4 SF magazine (similar to Dez Skins’ “Warrior”) published out of the Science Fiction Bookshop in Edinburgh under the ”G...