Search This Blog

Monday, September 4, 2023

Favourite Comics: Detective Comics # 450 - Walt Simonson & Elliot S Maggin

I had all but forgotten about the above issue of Detective Comics # 450 (cover by Dick Giordano) until very recently when I came across a sale copy in Glasgow last week. As soon as I opened the book and saw that powerful splash page (below) by Walt Simonson, I was instantly transported back to late November 1975 when I picked up my original copy in John Menzies (newsagents) on a shopping trip to Glasgow with my brother.
Elliot S. Maggin offers up an enjoyable story with a powerful twist conclusion. However, the real star of this issue comes from the early art of Walt Simonson who had only recently ended his classic Manhunter storyline with a Batman /Manhunter finale in issue 443. With this issue Simonson’s art had progressed even further and his storytelling and his interpretation of Batman are both striking. Batman crouching with a menacing look on his face and his cape blowing in the wind! Just the way Batman should always look.
One possible criticism of Simonson’s (wonderful) art could be levelled at his interpretation of Bruce Wayne, who doesn’t really look like himself here.
In the story itself Batman searches for the person who assassinated Senator Locksley. He suspects Harcourt a criminal mastermind, who he thinks knows the assassin is Jeremy Wormwood, but not the person who hired the assassin.
Wormwood is invited to Bruce Wayne ‘s office where he finds Harcourt who hires him to steal Batman’s cape and cowl. Wormwood asks why Harcourt wants the cape and cowl and Harcourt offers him a deal, he will tell him his reasons if Wormwood tells him who hired him to kill the Senator. Wormwood reveals that is was Mike Carley (the Senators party boss), then asks Harcourt what he's going to do with the cape and cowl. Harcourt replies "I'm going to wear them."
Wormwood turns to find Batman attacking. After a short struggle, Batman defeats Wormwood and ushers in the awaiting police. Batman had been impersonating Harcourt all along
The final panel with Batman's cowl and cape hanging over a chair was a fantastic visual ending by Walt Simonson from a time comics could be dark and fun.

4 comments:

  1. I don't seem to have any memory of ever having seen this issue, so I'll have to think about tracking one down. It looks like a pure stoater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth searching out. Sadly it's not all Batman as this issue also has a Robin back up tale with Al Milgrom on art chores.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this one. I had it back in the day, but long ago traded off my DC comics from this era, save for a few titles like the JLA and suchlike. New talents like Simonson were bringing freshness to comics and longtime characters like Batman at a time when they sorely needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember why I gave my original copy away as I instantly loved it first time around. I seem to recall that Mike Grell drew a few issues prior to Walt Simonson's amazing contribution.

    ReplyDelete

Gone but not forgotten: Near Myths - The early work of Grant Morrison and Bryan Talbot

Near Myths was an A4 SF magazine (similar to Dez Skins’ “Warrior”) published out of the Science Fiction Bookshop in Edinburgh under the ”G...