Search This Blog

Sunday, November 5, 2023

Best of British: Bonfire night - The Nervs by Ken Reid and others

Looking back, it seems totally irresponsible to have shown kids being so reckless when playing with fireworks on bonfire /Guy Fawkes night in children’s comics. After all bonfire night was an event that regularly resulted in serve injury and sometimes even in death to those taking less care than they should have when dealing with pyrotechnics and fire . Then again it was a very different time and I doubt that any of these strips encouraged children to run around with lit fireworks in their hands. The strip below from "Smash! and Pow!" #145" (cover above, dated 9 November 1968) is by the legendary Ken Reid, and features a different take on the use of fireworks in this stunningly illustrated two pager.
The "Nervs" was a strip that charted the adventures of "Fatty" (not the most PC name) a rather dim-witted boy and the internal microscopic creatures that inhabited his body. Strangely there were a few similarly strips like this in UK kids comics , but the “Nervs” was by far the funniest with poor Fatty being put through some horrendous situations. Fair to say they don't make them like Ken Reid anymore!
Below are a couple of other classic Bonfire night covers.
"Whizzer and Chips" dated 1 November 1969 - Many British comics gave away free gifts at certain holidays/events like the free Guy Fawkes mask presented here. Sadly, I give my original issue away many years ago and only picked up this copy (less the mask) last year.
"Wham!" #125 dated 5 November 1966 - The Tiddlers was a traditional type of British children's comic strip based on out-of-control school kids. This cover is by Mike Lacey in the legendary Leo Baxendale style. The Tiddlers at this time featured a lucky reader being drawn into the strip, in this case Noel from High Wycombe.
"The Beano" #1268 - dated 5 November 1966 - Cover by Dudley Watkins - This image is from the Financial Times online edition (an article on the financial side of collecting British comics).
Above an advert that appeared in kids comics in the 1960s - early 1970's for fireworks, something that would not be allowed today.

9 comments:

  1. Needless to say, that November 5th has little meaning here in the U.S. but all of what you say about carelessness and fireworks applies just as well to July 4th, Independence Day. Enjoy the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy Fawkes isn't actually a holiday in the UK Rip, it's just an event. It's not something I ever really enjoyed that much as a kid. It's more organised now with official fireworks displays, food etc and that can look impressive.

      Delete
  2. I think that some kids, if they were given the impression that running about holding fireworks wasn't dangerous, might well do such a thing, McS. I've read of kids being injured while playing with fireworks so it HAS happened, though whether they were subconsciously influenced by comics or not is understandably unknown. Back in the mid-'80s, Buster Pocket Library #29 was withdrawn from sale (and probably pulped) because Buster and one of his pals were shown holding lighted fireworks. A few escaped and I've got one, given to me by Bob Paynter, the Group Editor of IPC's Humour Dept. One thing can be said for sure - kids ARE impressionable and sometimes easily influenced so better to be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incidentally, that's Whizzer & Chips #3, which I've also got - mask included. NIce covers - Wham! also had a great Guy Fawkes Night cover by Baxendale back in the '60s, so you should see if you can find an image of that and add it to the post.

      Delete
    2. I remember a boy in my class at Primary school lost a finger holding a firework. As noted it was sadly a pretty regular thing hearing about kids being badly burned and fires spreading. Would be nice to see that Buster cover on your blog

      Delete
    3. It's been on it for years, McS, but I've just added it to my own Hallowe'en post to save you searching for it.

      Delete
  3. I think I added that Baxendale cover to last year's Bonfire post. Anyway that's the last of the Gut Fawkes comics that I have so if still here next year it'll be a blank 5 November post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unlike you, Paul, I always loved Guy Fawkes Night as a kid and I eagerly helped to collect junk for our local bonfire. Nowadays I don't attend any bonfires but I still enjoy watching the fireworks displays while standing at my front door!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind watching the planned events Colin, like yourself there is one close to my house that I can see part of from my back door. As a kid it just never intrigued me though.

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...