Search This Blog

Monday, November 20, 2023

Favourite Comics - Sub-Mariner #35 - Part 2

As noted in my previous post featuring the first part of this tale (Sub-Mariner #34) from 1971, it would be a further 3 years before I would manage to track down this issue and finally read the conclusion to this epic story. My discovery of this issue occurred when I was accompanying my dad on a work trip to Perth (the original city in Scotland not the "new" one in Australia) . While waiting for my dad to complete his business I visited a local newsagent and was looking through their rather bland US comics collection which consisted of “cartoon” based comics (Porky Pig, Archie, Popeye, Richie Rich etc). Possibly noticing that I wasn’t interested in any of these comics the owner asked if I liked superhero comics and presented me with a bag that contained around 10 old US superhero titles that were his sons who no longer wanted them. Many of the comics were pretty tatty but a couple were in good condition ( this issue and Action 415) both of which he gave me for free (well I purchased a Picnic chocolate bar and a newspaper). Unfortunately I parted company with both of these comics at some point and only picked up another copy of Sub-Mariner #35 around 1984/5 in AKA Books and Comics (a legendary and sadly missed Glasgow comic shop).
In the story itself, as Namor, Hulk, and the Silver Surfer track down the experimental weather device (from #34) the United Nations contact the Avengers for assistance in stopping the trio. As is the norm with these types of stories the teams battle each other. As the battles rage between the trio and the Avengers, Namor's scientists fix the device's errors thereby nullifying its use as a weapon of destruction. The Avengers and United Nations then realise that the three were only trying to prevent a global disaster and not use the device to take over the world. The fighting stops and the Hulk and Surfer depart, disbanding the short-lived super team “Titans Three”. In the pages below you can see Sal Buscema’s art start to develop and evolve into the style he is best known for.
Both Sub-Mariner #34 & #35 (and Thor #193) were reprinted in “Marvel Tales - featuring Silver Surfer” ” (solo series) #1 in May 2020, well worth tracking down.

6 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of Clint Barton as Goliath in this era. While I prefer him as Hawkeye and I am glad he would soon return to the role, this spin as the large and sometimes even in charge powerhouse added a nice visual dimension the stories from this era. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it strange that Clint Barton became Goliath , but that was probably because I liked him as Hawkeye. Size changing superheroes have always been "big" favourites of mine.

      Delete
  2. I'll have to track down that issue of Marvel Tales, McS. I have the Thor comic shown on the back, but not the two Subby mags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great reminiscence about obtaining the follow-up part of the tale, Paul. Getting a bag of 10 free comics sounds almost like a dream come true back in the seventies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only took 2 of those 10 conics Ian as I thought I was going to pay for them. If I had known they were free I would have taken all ten .

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...