Search This Blog

Monday, December 11, 2023

Bring on the Christmas Back-Ups - Night of the Prowler - by Bernie Wrightson & Len Wein

Well its that time of the year again so what better way to kick-off the festive season than with a look at some of my favourite Christmas themed comics strips. This little 3 page gem comes from the talented duo of Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson from "House of Mystery" #191 (January 1971). “Night of the Prowler” was a pretty innocent, but fun tale written at a time that Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson were creating comic book magic with the Swamp Thing. Enjoy.
Above, the cover to "House of Mystery" #191 by Neal Adams.This issue features some nice art by Bill Draut, Tony DeZuniga and Sergio Aragones.

7 comments:

  1. I don't have that issue, but I've got that story somewhere so it must've been reprinted at some point. Yeah, classic stuff (if a bit cliched).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was reprinted in "Christmas with the Superheroes"Kid. I only picked this issue up in the early 1980s , initially for the Neal Adams cover but it's a great HoM issie.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen this little gem before. Thanks for sharing a story which well and truly fits the times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly packs a lot into its 3 pages Rip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That story reminds me of waking up on Christmas Eve when I was about 5 and being convinced that Santa wouldn't come if I didn't go back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I was the same Colin. I can still remember when I was about 4 years old being convinced I saw Santa and his reindeer in the sky when I was looking out my window on Christmas eve way back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nice little story. Love the slow zoom on the husband's face as his expression softens and the colouring turns from monochromatic to pastels. I don't remember ever reading it, but I do have the comic buried away somewhere. Time to fish it out.

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...