Search This Blog

Thursday, August 27, 2026

Bring on the back-ups: The last Green Lantern by Neal Adams & Denny O'Neil

One of my favourite comic book series of all time is Green Lantern/Green Arrow (# 76 -89 - 1970/72) by the legendary team of Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil. However, the first time I actually read an Adams\O'Neil Green Lantern tale was when the strip moved over to the Flash comic (#217 - 219) in 1972 after the GL\GA comic was cancelled with # 89. Until recently I thought that was the last time that the Adams \ O'Neil team worked together on Green Lantern. Well that was until I picked up Flash #226 (December 1973) which to my surprise contained the story below which I think may have been the last time that Adams/O'Neil worked together on the character.
4
Below the Flash #226 (cover by Nick Cardy) The Green Lantern back -up strip would last until #244 in 1976 when a new Green Lantern \Green Arrow comic by O'Neil\Grell was published.

8 comments:

  1. Great Adams art as usual, though I was never much of a fan of Green Lantern. Annoyingly, this post of yours has only just shown up in my bloglist, which says it was published two days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to really like Green Lantern . I think the characters popularity has increased since the new TV show "Lanterns". I have had issue posting this week as it took a full 2 days for this post to appear on other blogs. I checked blogger it's not unusual as I haven't been posting regular the "crawler" doesn't prioritise the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I published a 'new' post on my other blog on the 17th and it didn't show in my bloglist for about 9 or ten days. And I notice that even on Mark Evanier's blog that his posts don't always show in my list when first published. As for Green Lantern, never seen the TV show, but I quite like some of the early Lantern stories from before he became 'relevant'.

      Delete
  3. I've not seen the Lantern TV show either but the clips look good. The GL movie got panned but I thought it was ok and the cartoon series from a few years ago ( over 10 years I think) was really good ( I'm a big kid) . According to blogger you can't always guarantee same hour/ day posting. When I cleared my cache and reset this thing called "crawler" the post appeared, probably just coincidence but I felt like a tech expert. I'll try post more regularly .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to take a look at this 'crawler' thing you speak of. The only crawler I know is Cyril Swot.

      Delete
  4. I think Flash #226 was the last time that Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil partnered on any story, which hit the stands 26th Dec 1973 (according to "Mikes"), Their teaming had started with Detective #395 ("Secret of the Waiting Graves"), published 26th Nov 1969. So their partnership only lasted a scant four years, but had a huge impact on the industry and fandom.

    I detect that there was a certain amount of antipathy between Adams and O'Neil on a personal level. As an avid reader in the early seventies I envisaged them physically working together on these stories, but of course, that was not the way they worked.
    I do think that DC missed an huge opportunity to re-unite Adams and O'Neil when they published "DC Retroactive:Green Lantern – The '70s #1" back in 2011 and had a new story penned by O'Neil, but drawn by Mike Grell. Surely DC must have tried to get O'Neil and Adams back together for that issue?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't aware that there were issues between Adams and O'Neil . I find that a bit sad as they worked so well together so in my head they were pals . I would have loved to have seen them team up again and I agree you would have thought DC would have tried to team them up. As much as I liked Grells art at that time for me he wasn't right for GL

    ReplyDelete

Milestones: The last Jack Kirby Fantastic Four comic

Fantastic Four #102 (September 1970) was a comic book that I picked up around 1987 in the back issue section of the now long gone Glasgow...