Search This Blog
Sunday, September 6, 2026
Top tens: Gil Kane
Gil Kane (1926 - 2000) was a major force in comics during the 1960s and 1970s and remained active producing excellent art up until his death in 2000. Kane ( born Eli Katz in Latvia) worked for almost every major comic book company and charater during his career creating not only amazing interior art but also stunning covers . Some of my favourite Gil Kane covers are shown below ( and not a single "up the nose" one among them!).
Some of Kanes best covers were for Western comics. He created a series of stunning covers for Marvels reprints of the Rawhide Kid and Kid Colt that I just had to pick up even although Westerns aren't my favourite genre
Although not known as a Superman artist, the comics I have featuring his Superman art ( cover and interior art) are fantastic and worth picking up.
Gil Kane was always looking for new formats for his art and produced one of the first graphic novel "His name is Savage".
Kane also worked on the newspaper strip Star Hawks from 1977 - 1981. This series has been reprinted several times in various collections. The above is the cover to an early paperback ( book 1, of 2) version .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Top tens: Gil Kane
Gil Kane (1926 - 2000) was a major force in comics during the 1960s and 1970s and remained active producing excellent art up until his de...
-
As mentioned in my previous post I have been on a bit of a back-issue comic buying spree recently picking up some of the comics I eithe...
-
In 1978 DC began a marketing campaign that would introduce a wave of new comics in an attempt to gain ground on the the publishing jugge...
-
I was probably about seven years old when I walked into my local newsagents in Cambuslang (near Glasgow) with my pocket money firmly he...









No comments:
Post a Comment