Search This Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2026

Favourite comics: Challengers of the Unknown #82: Mike Nasser, Joe Rubinstein, Gerry Conway

One of my favourite comics from the mid/late 1970s was DC's revamp of the Challengers of the Unknown which featured art by then comic book newcomers Keith Giffen, Jim Sherman, Mike Nasser ( Netzer) , and Joe Rubinstein. Nasser only drew 2 issues (82 & 83) before taking a break from regular comic work, but his two Challengers issues contained some of his best art and one of his best covers.
The cover blurb was a bit misleading in noting that it featured the Swamp Thing as the character only appeared in a flashback sequence. However, it did feature a single panel inked by Swamp Things co-creator Bernie Wrightson ( below), which at the time I found fascinating.
Mike Nasser (later changing his name to Netzer) left regular comics work in late 1977 and moved to Israel. In 1991 he began working with Neal Adams Continuity Comics which would later result in Netzer taking legal action against Adams over the intellectual property rights of Ms Mystic , a character created in 1977. The lawsuit was dismissed in 1995.

8 comments:

  1. I'd read there was friction between Netzer and Adams, but I did not know (or had forgotten) it was about Ms. Mystic. I love the Challs concept, though I have to confess their uniforms from the era are not effectively drawn by all artists. Between the issues which featured Deadman and the ones with Swamp Thing most have probably been reprinted, but I bet some have not. This needs a DC Finest with the classic Kirby material alongside the later stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Netzer claimed he and Adams jointly created Ms Mystic and the character was based on Netzers artwork and ideas when he work for Neals Continuity Studios in the late 1970s. Adams insisted Ms Mystic was his idea etc. regardless it was sad to see them "fight" over a pretty average character. . I loved the Challengers series back in the day even when the title was discontinued and the story moved to the Super - Team Family mag . Probably a comic that was of it's time rather than a classic, but it was fun and I would certainly pick up a collection .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kirby strips have been reprinted in collected editions, McS, first in two hardback volumes, then in a single softcover edition. The tales inked by Wally Wood are a cut above.

      Delete
  3. I have a few of the early Kirby/Woods strips in various reprints Kid . They certainly have a certain charm to them

    ReplyDelete
  4. McS - I sent you an email @Paul…. Hope you saw it and it’s notnin junque! Cheers, Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlie, I haven't received an email from you . My address doesn't have "Paul" in it . I sent an email to Steve from my email so not sure what happened it starts my initial and surname?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops just checked my spam folder and saw your email. I have replied.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I only collected the Kirby reprints of Challengers around 1973 - certainly have never read any of the Mike Nassar books. I really enjoyed the Challs issues done by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, which were collected into a single trade edition.
    I think that the Challs would be a great concept for a TV series or a major film.
    When I met Neal Adams back in 2009 he said that he thought that Challengers of the Unknown was a fantastic concept, and he'd love the chance to work on the title.

    ReplyDelete

Bring on the back-ups: The last Green Lantern by Neal Adams & Denny O'Neil

One of my favourite comic book series of all time is Green Lantern/Green Arrow (# 76 -89 - 1970/72) by the legendary team of Neal Adams an...