Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2026

Milestones: The last Jack Kirby Fantastic Four comic

Fantastic Four #102 (September 1970) was a comic book that I picked up around 1987 in the back issue section of the now long gone Glasgow comic store Futureshock. My hope was that the book contained John Romita Seniors art but as it turned out I missed that by one issue and this issue only featured his art on the cover. On the plus side this issue featured the final collaboration of the legendary team of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby on Marvels flagship title before Kirby left to join DC comics.
A lot has been written about Jack Kirby's decision to leave Marvel by commentators with more insight and knowledge than I have. However, having read many of the Lee/Kirby stories (in weekly instalments via Marvel UK titles ) it was clear to me that the series was struggling with the Lee/ Kirby team running out of steam and ideas. Certainly to my eyes Kirby seemed to be holding back on his art and ideas that were always his trademark. Despite this, issue 102 is a good comic it just didn't have the feeling that this was the end of comics greatest ever artistic team.
Below, Stans Soapbox focuses on Jack Kirby leaving Marvel but makes no mention of the fact that he is leaving to join the Distinctive Competition.
Below , the issue I meant to buy, Fantastic Four # 103 featuring John Romita Seniors first Fantastic Four art ( image from Marvel Fandom) . By issue 107 John Buscema would take over the art chores and the FF would go from strength to strength.

8 comments:

  1. By this time, unless Jack had an inker who diluted his weaknesses, his art was stiff and stilted, blocky and cartoony, and John Buscema's art was just what the FF mag needed at the time. I've got quite a number of original issues, as well as the first four of FF Omnibus volumes - and the first 12 (I think) of FF Marvel Masterworks. I must dip into them again and remind myself just how good comics used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange as I thought his art only really changed when he moved to DC but looking back at the few Kirby FFs/collections I have he started to lose his "magic" about a year before he left Marvel. Saying that he was still better/ more dynamic than most artists at the time ( at Marvel). .Yeah Buscema was excellent on the FF. Enjoy looking back on the earlier Kirby FF he ( and Stan) were on fire on that title at times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say, I'd love to have seen some Buscema FFs inked by Tom Palmer - that'd really have been something special. I suppose Stan kept Sinnott onboard to capture a little of the Kirby look.

      Delete
  3. They were amazing on those early Avengers issues so I'm sure they would have excelled on the FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a momentous issue for me. The transition from Kirby to Romita was powerful. I followed "The King" over to DC. Romita would give over to "Big" John Buscema rather soon and Buscema would for all intents and purposes replace Kirby.

    Note: My Blog List has stopped updating. I notice the same problem here. Have you noticed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised to read the Romita was so nervous about taking on the FF and thought the book may have been cancelled without Kirby's input. I suppose that just reflected the high esteem Jack was held in at the time .

    I hadn't noticed that the blog lists are not updating. I know that my last blog took sometimes to update on others .I have checked a few other blogs and I see they haven't updated either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unlike Kid I loved Kirby's art at this time but don't forget Joe Sinnott's contribution!

    I left a comment on Rip's recent Daredevil vs Hitler post but my comment hasn't appeared so perhaps Rip is having problems there too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also liked Kirby's art at this time Colin but not as much as it was just a few years previous.

    Like yourself I have left a few comments on Rips blog that haven't appeared. I assume there must be a problem there.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween bring on the back ups- Spawn of Frankenstein by Kaluta and Wolfman

The Phantom Stranger was one of the few DC comic books that I found difficult to track down back in the good old 1970s. That was until one...