Search This Blog

Friday, December 31, 2021

A New Year and a new Superman, 1970’s style

1971 was an important year for myself as it was the year that I left the comfort of primary school to undertake my secondary school education. 1971 was also an important year for Superman as this was the year that he shed his Silver Age trappings and became a “modern character” for the 1970's. This transformation would see Superman lose some of his powers , the numerous multi-coloured Kryptonite’s that affected him were changed to iron, his boss changed from Perry White at the Daily Planet to Morgan Edge at Galaxy Broadcasting and the reliance on silly storylines, twists, hoaxes and flashbacks ended. To announce these changes, DC ran several 2 page house ads with the final one appearing (as the one page ad above) in Superman issue 233, an already impressive issue with that wonderfully iconic Neal Adams cover.
The second page of the DC house ads showed how Superman had evolved from the Golden age the Silver age and onto the then current Bronze Age. This page also summerised other changes that would take place across the entire DC Superman Family line of books with Jimmy Olsen being taken over by Jack Kirby, Lois Lane evolving into a more rounded character with a new back up feature "The Rose and the Thorn", Supergirl got a new costume and the Legion of Superheroes started to appear more regularly in the Superboy title.
The core of the new Superman storyline arc was the excellent “Sandman Saga" which appeared in Superman issues 233 - 235, 237 - 238, 240 - 242 (the latter 2 issues being my all time favourite Superman comics) . Following his memorable runs on the Batman books and Green Lantern/Green Arrow Denny O'Neil was brought in to write the new Superman tales. Along with Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson, one of comics greatest ever art teams (and Neal Adams on covers) they produced arguably the best Superman tale of the bronze age. Beginning with issue 233 the story began with an archetypal situation where a scientist is trying to create an engine powered by kryptonite, when the experiment suddenly goes wrong all kryptonite on Earth becomes harmless iron. However this accident also allows a Superman “double” to emerge from the dimension of Quarm. Superman discovers that this duplicate of himself is draining him of all his powers and that the duplicate is also intending to take over as Superman. Sadly after this excellent storyline concluded, DC pulled the plug on this "new" version of Superman and Cary Bates became the new writer from "Superman" #243 returning Superman for the most part, to his silver age roots. But those short lived stories of the NEW Superman were wonderful and the stunning Neal Adams covers below (issue 238 being by Infantino and Anderson)in no way outshine the great scripts and the wonderful art of the Swan/Anderson art team. This is "my" Superman and sometimes we simply shouldn’t let “auld acquaintances be forgotten”.

11 comments:

  1. I just read your comment over on my blog, McS, checked my blog-list, and there was your new post. That's the first time that's ever happened, as I've sometimes checked your blog throughout the day only to see a previous post - and when a new post DID appear, it was showing as several hours old. Weird, eh?

    Regarding these classic Superman issues, it wasn't so much that DC 'pulled the plug' on the 'new' Superman, rather (according to Denny O'Neil) the writer didn't feel an affinity with the character and just didn't know where to take the series after his relatively short run. However, they remain classics for evermore, not just '70s Superman at his best, but at his best since 1938 right up 'til now - and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I didn't know that Kid, that's such a shame as I thought the (then) new Superman was a classic version. I stopped reading Superman (regularly) not long afterwards as he was too powerful for the stories to be of interest to me especially with Marvel comics being available at that time. 🙁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say, Happy New Year when it happens tonight. I don't stay up for it, I'll be in bed, reading.

      Delete
  3. Happy New year to you and yours as well Kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best run of Superman, without doubt, McScotty. In fact, it is the only run of Superman that I own. The whole story would make a fabulous film.

    I'd not appreciated how DC had made so many co-ordinated changes to the whole Superman family of books in 1971. I only remember being annoyed that World's Finest became a Superman team-up book, jettisoning Batman!
    That 1971/72 era was a peak in comics, and an ideal time for a 12-year old to dive in! Fifty years ago! Can't believe it.

    Best wishes for 2022 to yours, McScotty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really was a great Superman story arc and as you say it would make a good film ( certainly better that some of them). I have held onto most of my comics from this Superman run and it is very hard to believe it was 50 years ago that I bought these. For me 1970 to 1973 was the zenith of comics books, there were so many innovative and fun comics to buy from all publishers. Hope you and yours all have a great 2022, take care !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just reposted something on my blog that ties in with this, McS. Might interest you. You too, B.

      Delete
    2. Just jumped over there, Kid, and left a comment.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, B.

    McS, there's a copy of CTB #25 on ebay for £9.99, seller is Silver Acre. If you look at some of the other asking prices, that's not a bad price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These were not my first Superman tales, but they were the first to get me to see the awesomeness of the character. He'd seemed a tad goofy before but here he had heft and seriousness. I need to fish my collection of these out and give them a reading. Thanks for the reminder.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first Superman would have been of the mid to late 1960s Rip, which at the time, as a 5 to 9 year old I loved. But as time went on the silliness of the characters story's wasn't as appealing to me. This version \ story arc came at the right time for me. I think DC still struggle with what to do with Superman ( not that I read many new comics) .

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...