Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Favourite comics: Doctor Strange; Master of the Mystic Arts ( vol 2) Issue 4

I have been a fan of Dr Strange ever since I first read his earliest tales that were reprinted in the UK Marvel “Avengers” weekly comic back in 1973. Those early tales by Steve Ditko and Stan Lee are without doubt the benchmark for the character but in the 1970’s there was plenty of stiff competition for that title with Gene Colan and Steve Englehart’s excellent (long) run on the character. However, it was in 1974 that arguably (and for me at least) one of the best ever single issues of the entire series came out; “Dr Strange: Master of the Mystic Arts” (vol2 ) issue 4. Like so many things from back in the day (in this case 1974) I can no longer recall with any certainty where I purchased this comic but I do remember being absolutely blown away by the art and story.
After appearing in a successful run in Marvel Premiere issues 1-14 in the mid 1970’s Dr Strange moved back into his own title “Doctor Strange: Master of the Mystic Arts” , which ran for 81 issues between June 1974 – February 1987 . Although the most famous run on this title was by the aforementioned team of Englehart and Gene Colan there is no doubt that the stand out issues were by the team of Frank Brunner and Steve Englehart which ran until issue 14 of Marvel Premier (which also featured art by Sal Buscema, Jim Starlin and Ditko) until Brunner’s last issue “Doctor Strange: Master of the Mystic Arts” number 5. The above cover and opening page to issue 4 by Frank Brunner are absolute gems that beautifully illustrates the madness that faces Dr Strange.
Although Dick Giordano is credited as the inker it seems that Neal Adams did most of the inking chores on this book and his hand certainly seems evident to me in many of the pages. In the story itself Dr. Strange continues to make his way through an unreal world within the Eye of Agamotto. Fighting Death, the sorcerer supreme struggles until he spies the shape of Eternity and eventuially defeats Death. Afterwards, the spirit of the Ancient One arrives to inform Strange that this was the final test for the new Sorcerer Supreme and that Dr. Strange can no longer age and can only die by means of violence. He is also gifted with the mystic Ankh of Enduring Life. For me the Brunner and Adams's collaboration places this story not only among the best drawn of the entire series, but is also one of the best drawn comics of the 1970’s and beyond.

8 comments:

  1. I've got a Special from the early '80s, which reprints the first few issues of Dr. Strange as drawn by Frank Brunner. Impressive art sure enough, but I can't help preferring the original Stan Lee/Steve Ditko issues, which I first read in b&w in Terrific back in the '60s - as well as some of the Marvel King-Size Specials

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Diko\Lee issues are certainly classics Kid and great reads but I just loved this series and Brunners art . Maybe being 14 years old at the i bought this helped with that as this was my first US Dr. Strange comic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those early Lee/Ditko classics were indeed terrific and it's amazing how they were able to create an entire gripping story in only seven or eight pages!

    Marvel is currently publishing a series called 'The Death Of Doctor Strange' in which the Marvel superheroes have to fight the likes of Dormammu without Dr. Strange being around any more. I assume Dr. Strange will be returned to life at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw some of those "Death of Dr. Strange" comics last time I was in Forbidden Planet in Glasgow Colin. As you say he will no doubt return to enough especially with a new Dr. Strange film in the works. Yeah the Ditko Dr Strange tales were great especially as they were only a few pages in length. The Ditko \ Lee strips are still some of my all time favourite comics and Dr. Strange one of my favourite characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The are possibly my favorite Dr. Strange stories. Doc had a way of bringing the best in many artists and Frank Brunner was at the top of his mainstream game here.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't believe that I ever collected a single issue of Dr. Strange, although I certainly read the early reprints in the Marvel weeklies. I think there was something about Ditko's art that I found slightly disturbing. I'll have to find a copy of this issue for a closer look. I personally don't recognize any overt Adams influence on the artwork, but neither does it look like Dick Giordano's inking either. Can you point to any articles which discuss the issue? I wonder if Adams' Continuity Associates (of which Giordano was a founding member) worked on it? Very intriguing - and it looks to be a great comic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the very same feeling about Ditkos art when I first read his Spiderman strips when they were reprinted in Pow comic/annuals in the 1960s. I had a similar feeling with his Dr Strange strips in the Avengers, but that's why I loved them. I recall reading Adams did a lot of the inside inks on this issue on the Pecilink blog and in other blogs. Adams was certainly involved via "Crusty Bunkers" in previous tales when Brunner was drawing g Dr Strange when it appeared in Marvel Premier and the inside are very similar ( to me at least) to issue 4. It really is a great comic great story as well as art abd wirth looking out.

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...