Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2022

Bring on the back-ups: Creepy 105 – Russ Heath magic

The first time I saw Russ Heath’s art was not on a comic strip, instead it was one of his many commercial advertising jobs where he drew those now famous Roman and Revolutionary War scenes advertising toy soldiers. These full page adverts appeared on the back page of many US comics in the 1960s and early 1970’s but at that time I had no idea who it was that drew these ads until many years later.
Among comic book fans Russ Heath (1926- 2018) was best known for his detailed art on western, adventure and war comics primarily for DC where he co-created with Robert Kanigher, the “Haunted Tank” strip (“GI Combat” issue 87) and drew the underwater adventure comic “Sea Devils” and various mystery comics. However, it was his work on DC's “Our Army at War” where he drew some Sgt Rock stories that I first became aware of his stunning artwork. As good as Heath’s art was on colour comics it was in the black and white field that he seemed to excel producing some of the his and comics best art. One of my favourites of his black and white strips was on the Nicola Cuti written tale “Dime Novel Hero” that appeared in the Warren black and white magazine “Creepy” issue 105 from December 1978. Enjoy the work of a genuine comic book master and one of comics best ever illustrators of werewolves (possibly only bettered by the late great Neal Adams) .
“Creepy” issue 105 from December 1978. – A fantastic issue that not only featured the above strip but also had a wonderfully illustrated John Severin tale “ Visit to a primitive planet” that I may show at some point.

13 comments:

  1. I've got a book all about Russ Heath, and it's got loads of great examples of his artwork in it. I've had it for a few years now, and when I remember where it is, I'll put a few images on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to that Kid. I have seen the Russ Heath book "Flesh and Steel " on sake but never had the chance to look at it.

      Delete
    2. That's the very book, McS.

      Delete
  2. I became a Russ Heath fan when I detected that the famous Roman Soldiers ad looked much like the work of the artist who did certain issues of G.I. Combat featuring the Haunted Tank. I didn't confirmation of that for many years, but I felt confident in my estimation. Heath's black and white work for Warren was pretty impressive. My favorite example of his artwork is "Yellow Heat" -- a notorious cannibal story set on the African veldt from Vampirella. It was written by Bruce Jones. Below is a link.

    http://theporporbooksblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/yellow-heat-by-bruce-jones-story-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link Rip, that's simply stunning artwork . I've seen a few pages before but not the entire strip . My interest in Heaths art was rekindled when he drew a couple of black and white strips for the Atlas/Seaboard magazine "Thrilling Adventure Stories". His Warren work was really good and I try to pick up anything from that era by him ( and John Severin).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only become a fan of Russ Heath's artwork in recent times, particularly his work on Our Army At War (I have the Heath-illustrated story "Pressure Point" from Our Army At War #235 in front of me now). It is interesting how he could evoke Joe Kubert's restrained style in the army books, yet deliver a far more detailed rendering of scenes in other media, such as that great Creepy story you highlighted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those "Our Army at War" comics especially with Russ Heaths are are excellent. I know what you mean re his style on Sgt Rock having that Kubert look while still being very much Russ Heath. Issue 235 is a great issue ,it even has a cool Alex Toth back up strip.

      Delete
    2. Back in the seventies I avoided the DC war comics because I thought they'd be like the British Commando digests, and in doing so I missed a lot of great stories and great artists, that I'm only enjoying now.

      Delete
  5. That was a great issue...Heath, USS Stevens, Toth plus a Kubert reprint! The big issue was #244. Easy's First Tiger, written and drawn by Heath! The double page spread there was truly amazing.
    I don't have the Flesh and Steel book. Went on to Amazon to look for it, but it's out of print and they were asking over £150....sob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As luck would have it, I picked up a reading copy of #244 this past weekend in my local comic shop half-price sale for $3. I'm settling down to read it now. Thanks for the recommend.

      Delete
    2. Follow-up comment...have just read #244 cover to cover. Thanks for the tip Spirit of '64 - it was a great comic. Loved every panel, plus the house ads, and even the lettercol! Heath did a great job on the main story - I wonder who coloured the artwork? And it was a surprise for me to see a serious back-up story by Mort Drucker, having associated him with Mad parodies for many years.

      Delete
  6. Ooooh now I need to try track down issue 244 "Spirit". One of my favourite "Our Army at War" comics is issue 250 ("90 Day Wonder") where Heath's art is more in his own style rather that evoking Joe Kubert as baggsey notes. I scanned the "Flesh and Steel" book when I saw it in Glasgow last year , its nice but not worth £150

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to track down a copy of Our Army at War 250....what a great comic. You're right about Russ Heath's artwork on "90 Day Wonder"..great detail and depth, and whoever did the colouring job definitely added to the realism. Also liked the Ernie Cruz-drawn backup on the Bob Haney story. Great recommendation, McScotty.

      Delete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...