Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Favourite Comics: Strange Tales issue 178 – Warlock

After his own self-titled comic “The Power of Warlock” ceased publication after only 8 issues in October 1973, Adam Warlock was brought back as the main feature in the (then) long running Strange Tales comic in February 1975. I can still vividly recall the day I first saw the above iconic Jim Stariln cover in one of the many newsagents (now a café) in my local town. My abiding memory of this comic wasn’t initially about the stunning art or storyline, but in my brothers reaction to seeing the comic. By this time he wasn’t really a big comic book fan being (to me as a 14 year old) way too old for comics at 20 years old (little did I know I would still be reading them decades later lol). But he was so taken with the book that he asked me to pick up the next issue which I did until the series finished in Strange tales issue 181 before being catapulted back into his own title “Warlock” in October 1975 (taking up its numbering from the first series with issue 9) which my brother (and myself of course) also read until that series finally ended in November 1976 with issue 15. Every time I see the above cover it not only reminds me of that great Starlin series but more importantly to myslef, it provides a memory of my late brother sitting in our living room chair in his office suit (grey flares and a thick 1970s tie) after he had finished work reading that issue.
The opening splash page of Jim Starlin’s Warlock.
Starlin provided the above wonderfully paced and designed 4 page recap of Warlocks origin before beginning his own tale where a woman attempts to warn Warlock of the Universal Church of Truth before being assassinated by the Grand Inquisitor. Later in this issue the Magus reveals himself to Warlock (see below), who it turns out is an alternate version of himself who has become corrupted with power and sets himself up as a God. As the series develops it becomes self-evident that Starlin has used Warlock/Magus as metaphor for those that follow faith blindly without questioning its leaders motives. Religious iconography aside the series was an exceptionally well written and illustrated comic book adventure.

14 comments:

  1. Got all the Strange Tales Warlock issues, plus those of his own title. I've also got a reprint series on high quality paper that had all of them, so I'm spoilt for choice. Must dig 'em out and re-read them some day, as though I liked the art, I don't recall the storyline ever really grabbing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had kept my original Strange Tales and Warlock issues as well but do t have any collections. I think Warlock was my favourite strip at this time ( certainly up there) I really liked the complexity of the storyline which asked some strong questions on religion but was still a heart a strong SF \ superhero comic. Starlings later work for Epic magazine (Metamorphosis) while stunningly illustrated wasn't to my liking.

      Delete
  2. I didn't fully appreciate how great Starlin was at the time. I took his material for granted despite knowing it was more coherent and directed than most in those days when comics were on a last leg. He made some darn fine comics. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starlin was a breath of fresh air for comics at this time which for me were starting to look like they were in a bit of a rut ( some obvious exceptions).

      Delete
  3. Warlock is another character that passed me by, back in the 70s, McScotty, but seems worth catching up on few back issues, based on your recommendation here. Starlin seemed to put his all into very detailed artwork. My knowledge of Jim Starlin's work started around the time when he started pencilling some of the Marvel Black & White magazines - Deadly Hands of Kung Fu and Savage Tales come to mind.
    Thanks for relating the story of your late brother's interest in Warlock; it's great that a comic memory can bring personal resonance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that Starlin Master of Kung Fu story when it was printed in the UK Avengers weekly comic . That or an early Conan strip was my first introduction to Starlins work. I would add that personally I wasn't a fan of his later Warlock work . Yeah I've said it many time but certain comics (music etc) just take me right back to a time from the past like this issue. Hope your enjoying\ enjoyed your trip to Scotland and other parts of the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got back to the US last night. Had a great week in Scotland, driving from Glasgow via Luss to Glenfinnan, on to Skye, Inverness, Aberdeen, taking in castles and gorgeous scenery driving through the Highlands, finishing with two nights in Edinburgh. Glorious weather throughout our time in Scotland.I'll tell people the sun always shines in Scotland. Then back to London for a week. Managed to squeeze in a visit to Forbidden Planet and GOSH comics in Soho with pal Nigel to relive old times. So many comic shops in London now gone, though, migrated on-line only.

      Delete
    2. Glad the weather was good for you. Its actually a really nice day today in the Glasgow area, and I hear its exceptionally warm in England and Wales . I think many comic shops throughout the UK have moved online or just closed in the last few years and many are now more focused on toys/ merchandise. Good to hear GOSH is still going strong it was one of my favourite comics shops when I worked in London

      Delete
  5. My first exposure to Starlin's work was his cover art to early issues of MWOM, starting with #2. (John Buscema drew #1, but I think that was the only cover he ever did for Marvel UK, unless he did a couple for Captain Britain when he was drawing the interior strip.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duh! Of course how could I forget those great Starlin UK covers .

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not "exceptionally warm" here in Wales, Paul. The temperature has risen a little bit but nothing to write home about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been raining here today Colin, but it is still warm(ish). BBC weather said you were going to have a nice day in Wales as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just missed the first couple of issues but caught #180 and was hooked. Warlock #11 and Avengers Annual #7 remain 2 of my favourite comics of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot all about Avengers Annual 7 that was indeed a great comic Warlock issue 11 , "The Strange Death of Adam Warlock" was probably my favourite in the series

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...