Search This Blog

Monday, January 8, 2024

Top Tens: The "incredible" art of Herb Trimpe.

Sometimes an artist does a character so well that they make that version of the character their own; Jack Kirby and the Fantastic Four, Curt Swan and Superman, Neal Adam’s and Batman, Gene Colan and Daredevil, and the wonderful Herb Trimpe and the Incredible Hulk. “Happy Herb” as he was known to fans, began working for Marvel in the mid-'60s in the production department before finding comic book fame as the penciller of “The Incredible Hulk” in an almost unbroken string of issues from #106-193 between 1968 and 1975. My own personal favourite Herb Trimpe Hulk comics featured the inking of John Severin , however with or without John Severin there was no doubting Herbs talent as an amazing cover artist who regularly produced action packed covers. Some of my favourite Hulk covers to accompany "Incredible Hulk" issue 163 above, are shown below:
Incredible Hulk # 141 (July 1971) - I have always coveted this issue and finally received this as an unexpected Christmas present this year.
Incredible Hulk # 171 (January 1974).
Incredible Hulk # 151 (May 1972) - by Trimpe & John Severin. This is an excellent issue and has remained one of my all-time favourite comics since I first read it when it was reprinted in the UK "Mighty World of Marvel" comic
Incredible Hulk # 132 (October 1970) - by Trimpe & John Severin.
Incredible Hulk # 148 (February 1972) - by Trimpe & John Severin. Yet another classic Hulk tale by Archie Goodwin and Trimpe/Severin.
Marvel Super-Heroes #63 (1977) - Originally published in "Incredible Hulk #109 (November 1968) cover by Trimpe & John Severin. "Marvel Super-Heroes" featured classic Hulk reprints from #25 to #105.
Incredible Hulk #110 (December 1968) cover by Trimpe & John Severin. This is one of my earliest Marvel comics which I purchased only a few years ago. Another Hulk classic that I first read in the UK "Mighty World of Marvel" weekly.
Incredible Hulk # 142 (August 1971) - by Trimpe & John Severin.
Incredible Hulk # 137 (March 1971) - by Trimpe - I have prattled on before about my affection for this issue (and # 136) which were the first 2 issues of the US Hulk comic that I purchased.
"Mighty World of Marvel" #94 (July 1974) by Trimpe. This story was originally published in Incredible Hulk # 131 (September 1970) and is one of the few Hulk back issues I would still like to pick up.
Despite his amazing run on the Hulk, Herb is probably best known by todays comic book fans as the first artist to draw the Wolverine, a character who debuted in “Incredible Hulk” #180 as a villain and has since gone on to become one of the best-known and most annoyingly successful of Marvel’s character ( only beaten to that title for me by “Deadpool”) . Although Trimpe co-created almost all the Hulks supporting cast, including Jim Wilson (#131), Doc Sampson (#141) and the Hulk Busters military unit, he did not as is so often noted, co-create the Wolverine. That accolade goes to John Romita who designed his costume, and writers Len Wein (and Roy Thomas?). I never owned a copy of #180 (and I am unlikely to ever buy this at the prices being asked) but the excellent "True Believers" issue is a good alternative.
Trimpe’s work at Marvel was not just confined to the Hulk, he also created the World War I flying ace the Phantom Eagle (above) which allowed him to indulge his passion for classic planes. He also worked on numerous other Marvel titles including runs on Ant-Man in Marvel Feature , Ka-Zar, Iron-Man, Fantastic Four, Godzilla, Shogun Warrior, War of the Worlds, the Defenders, G.I Joe and many other books. Sadly, Herb passed away in 2015 while out jogging from a heart attack at the age of age 75. .

8 comments:

  1. That's a nice set of covers, Paul. I never took much notice of Trimpe's work back in the seventies as I was never a Hulk fan, although I did read the strip in MWOM weekly. Thanks for bringing his work to my attention. That Phantom Eagle comic is a new one on me. My immediate thought was that it was an homage to the pulp "G-8 and His Battle Aces", but having taken a quick look at Wikipedia to learn a bit more about the character's appearances over the years, it does not seem that was the case. I'm intrigued enough to track down a copy of Marvel Super-Heroes #16. Congrats on the Hulk #141 Xmas present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like yourself I read the Hulj strips in MWOM and wasn't a big fan at first but the character slowly grew on me over time. To be honest I only ever really liked Herbs art on the Hulk although he did some nice work on SHIELD. Phantom Eagle was a nice wee one off and it's worth picking up . Enjoy.

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge Trimpe fan. As you say, his Hulk became definitive for many moons at Marvel. While at times a bit clumsy there was always charm in every page that Trimpe drew. I'm in the minority in that I think that John Severin (a great artist in his own right of course) was too dominant as inker on Trimpe and I preferred him to ink himself first and foremost and others such as Sal Trapani seem to find the magic. Jack Abel was not well suited to Trimpe I thought, but he was used a lot. I met Trimpe once at a convention and he's the only artist I've ever paid to do a commission. He drew Phantom Eagle and I display it proudly on my walls. Met Gary Friedrich that same day and had both signed my Marvel Superheroes copy. Love it! Thanks for kindling such great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a few people felt the same way about John Severins inks dominating other artists pencils but I thought Trimpe and Severin made a great team . I couldnt agree more with you on Jack Abels inks on Trimpes pencils, not a good team. That's must have been a thrill talking to Herb , I remember him being interviewed on UK TV and he seemed a genuinely nice man. You will need to show that Trimpe drawing on your blog if you haven't already

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link to a post from over a decade ago when I was just starting out on the blog which shows the drawing. Just scroll down. Sorry it's not bigger.

      https://ripjaggerdojo.blogspot.com/2010/02/phantom-eagle.html

      Delete
  4. One of my favourite Trimpe covers shows the Hulk being crushed by MODOK's giant foot - I remember that cover from Mighty World Of Marvel. Herb Trimpe also drew Captain Britain (when CB was still in colour from #1-23) and he even did some work on Planet Of The Apes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that Gremlin cover when it was used for an issue of MWOM and I quite liked the inking on it, but I'll always feel that John Severin gave something to Trimpe's (rhymes with Shrimpy's) pencils that they didn't have on their own. Same with Sinnott, Colletta, or Wood on Kirby. McS, didn't you get the True Believers reprint of 141 when it was available? I remember you commenting on my post about it and being a tad envious at my having the original (as well as the TB) and saying it's one you'd like to own. Got it in the end, eh? There's a nice book about Herb Trimpe from TwoMorrows that you'd probably like. I've got it, but you ain't getting mine. Herb was meant to do a signing in Glasgow a goodly number of years ago, but had to pull out at the last minute for some reason or other. Just think, had he made it, we'd both have got to speak with him and get his autograph - maybe even a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have (or had) the TB of #141 Kid and I have that issue and other stories in a Hulk Masterclass edition that I picked up for £7 in the Forbidden Planet sale a few years ago . My brother bought me issue 163 and its always been a special reminder of him te to me. Its a great cover but the art inside isnt Trimpes best.

    ReplyDelete

How the duck got his trousers: When Disney took legal action against Marvel

Around thirty years before the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment (Dec 2009) they threatened a trademark lawsuit against Ma...